World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0005716539
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dollymount  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Clontarf, Dublin, Northside, Dublin, Dublin Bay, Irish Championship Meeting Professional Tournament, History of Sea Scouting (Scouting Ireland)
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Dollymount Strand, North Bull Island, looking south

Dollymount (Irish: Cnocán Doirinne), often known as "Dollyer" to Dubliners,[1] is a coastal suburban area on the north coast of Dublin Bay, within Clontarf, on the northside of Dublin, Ireland, just East of Saint Anne's Park.


  • Dollymount Strand 1
  • Amenities 2
  • History 3
  • References 4
  • See also 5

Dollymount Strand

The famous Wooden Bridge from Clontarf links to Bull Island and the 5 kilometres long stretch of sandy beach and dunes on the island's eastern shore; while the island is located in Clontarf and Raheny, the beach is called Dollymount Strand.


Dollymount is primarily residential, having just a few shops and a restaurant, and an ATM, near the fountain pond of St. Anne's Park. Most commercial facilities are found in the main Clontarf centres.

The area has a Roman Catholic church, St. Gabriel's, the third and last-built of the three Catholic churches in Clontarf which was completed in the 1950s. A much earlier plan to build a second Clontarf Church of Ireland parish church in Dollymount to complement the church on Seafield Road was abandoned in the 19th century.

Manresa Jesuit Centre of Spirituality, located in what was Baymount Castle, is a Jesuit retreat house which hosts meetings and retreats. Visitors on retreat regularly record their appreciation of neighbouring Saint Anne's Park, Bull Island and Dollymount Strand.


Clontarf Road at Dollymount

Dollymount lies within the district of Clontarf, which surrounds it (as the citywards part of Bull Island is part of Clontarf). For history before the 19th century, see the relevant article. For details of the origin, from "The Neighbourhood of Dublin" (Weston St. John Joyce, 3rd edition, Dublin, 1920):
"The name of Dollymount would seem to have originated with a house bearing that title which stood on or adjoining the site of Sea Park in Mount Prospect Avenue, and which is shown in Duncan's Map of 1820. "Dollymount House" appears in the Dublin Directory up to 1836, after which it disappears, doubtless having been renamed, and in 1838 the name appears for the first time as that of a district, under the heading of "Green Lanes, Dollymount." It is stated that the designation was adopted in the first instance by a member of the Vernon family as a compliment to his wife, by name Dorothy, or Dolly Vernon." The Green Lanes are still referred to as simply "Clontarf" in Thom's Irish Almanac & Official Directory of 1849.


  1. ^ Finn, Melanie (17 July 2008). "Dylan gives U2 short back and sides for Dollyer photoshoot".  

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.