World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0001777811
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dossenheim  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Karl-Heinz Körbel, Schriesheim, Odenwald, Otto Hitzfeld, Weißer Stein
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Town hall
Town hall
Coat of arms of Dossenheim
Coat of arms
Dossenheim   is located in Germany
Country Germany
State Baden-Württemberg
Admin. region Karlsruhe
District Rhein-Neckar-Kreis
 • Mayor Hans Lorenz
 • Total 14.14 km2 (5.46 sq mi)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 12,185
 • Density 860/km2 (2,200/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 69125-69221
Dialling codes 06221
Vehicle registration HD

Dossenheim is a municipality in the Rhein-Neckar (District) in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

It is located on Bergstrasse and Bertha Benz Memorial Route.


  • Geography 1
    • Location 1.1
    • Boroughs 1.2
  • History 2
  • Government 3
    • Municipal council 3.1
    • Mayor 3.2
    • Coat of arms 3.3
    • Sister cities 3.4
  • Culture and sights 4
    • Museums 4.1
    • Notable buildings and edifices 4.2
    • Regular events 4.3
  • Economy and infrastructure 5



Dossenheim lies 5 kilometers north of Heidelberg along the Bergstraße at the foot of the Odenwald. Dossenheim borders Heidelberg, Ladenburg, and Schriesheim.


The hamlet Schwabenheim belongs to Dossenheim.


Dossenheim was first mentioned in the Lorsch codex in 766. 1130 is the first mention of the noble family Wolfsölden-Schauenburg, who ruled the area from the Schauenburg. After this family died out in 1280, the inheritors sold the lands to the electors of the Palatinate of the Rhine of Heidelberg in 1303. As early as 1319, the prince-elector archbishopric of Mainz had won all the rights that the fief of Schaenberg had pawned to the knights of Handschuhsheim. After a long period of rivalry between the Archbishop of Mainz and the Palatinate of the Rhine, until Frederick I conquered the area for the Palatinate and destroyed the Schauenberg.

In the Landshut War of Succession, the Hessian landgrave destroyed Dossenheim in 1504. During the Thirty Years' War Tilly's troops, more than others, destroyed and plundered Dossenheim in 1622. After seizing the capital Heidelberg, Dossenheim belonged to the Archbishop of Mainz for a short time. However, as part of the Bergstrasse Cease-fire of 1650, Dossenheim was returned to the Palatinate. In the Dutch War and in the War of the Grand Alliance French troops set fire to numerous building in 1674, 1689, and 1693.

In 1714, Lothar Franz von Schönborn, the archbishop of Mainz renounced all claims to Dossenheim forever. In 1803 the Palatinate was dissolved and Dossenheim became part of Baden. In 1925 Schwabenheim was annexed to Dossenheim.


Municipal council

The council of Dossenheim has 22 members elected by direct suffrage for five years, in addition to the presiding mayor. The seat distribution after the local elections of 2009 is as follows:
Municipal Council 2009
Party Votes Seats
CDU 28.6% (-7.4) 7 (-2)
Green 23.4% (+3,5) 5 (+1)
FW Dossenheim 21.4% (+3,0) 5 (+1)
SPD 15,8% (-1,9) 3 (-1)
FDP 10,8% (+2,8) 2 (+1)
Voter Participation: 60.72%


The Mayor is elected by direct suffrage for a term of eight years. The Mayor of Dossenheim is Hans Lorenz (CDU).

  • 1963–1979 Heinrich Schumacher
  • 1979–1995 Peter Denger
  • since 1995 Hans Lorenz (CDU).

Coat of arms

The coat of arms comes from a court seal from the year 1495 upon which appeared a grape vine. In 1901 it was officially awarded by the General State Archive.

The flag is green and white. The date it was chosen is unknown.

Sister cities

Culture and sights

The ruins of Schauenburg in Dossenheim

Local attractions include an indoor swimming pool and a little shopping center in the area Am Petrus.

Dossenheim's Kermesse (Kerwe) occurs on the third Sunday in September every year. In Dossenheimer tradition this is a street festival.

Dossenheim's location in the Rhine river flood plain at the edge of the Odenwald, offers a variety of landscapes. The agricultural landscape of the flood plain climbs steeps from 110 m above sea level through the forests of the Odenwald to 548 m at the top of the Weißer Stein (White Stone). The Weißer Stein is the site of a lookout tower made of sandstone and a broadcast tower (not the broadcast tower of SWR). The ruins of the Schauenberg to the North, offer a view over the flood plain. When the air is clear, one can see the Hambacher Schloss in the Palatinian forest and the cities of Mannheim, Ludwigshafen, Speyer, and Karlsruhe. Abandoned Porphyry quarries can be found in the wooded areas. In the Spring, fruit trees blossom white and red.


Dossenheim has a museum of local history.

Notable buildings and edifices

  • Ruins of Schauenburg
  • Television broadcast tower atop the Weißer Stein
  • Historic city hall (houses the museum of local history)
  • Locks on the river Neckar at Schwabenheim (a difference of 8.7 m in height)
  • Lookout tower on the Weißer Stein
  • Preparation facilities and parts of the overhead tramway for goods in the porphyry quarry Vatter
  • Skatepark
  • Former mediumwave broadcast tower of the SWR. In Dossenheim SWR operated a mediumwave broadcast tower until 30 April 2004 for the frequency 711 kHz with a broadcast power of 5 kilowatts. Together with broadcast towers Heilbronn-Obereisesheim and Ulm-Jungingen it formed a single-frequency network. This facility has been taken down in the meantime.
  • Broadcast tower Weißer Stein

Regular events

  • Dossenheimer Sommertagszug (summer day parade) in May
  • Kermesse on the 3rd Sunday in September
  • Christmas market in December on the Kronenburger Hof

Economy and infrastructure

Traces of mining

Dossenheim is primarily a residential community. Because of its proximity to Heidelberg Dossenheim is attractive to people who work at the Ruprecht Karl University of Heidelberg, German Cancer Research Center (Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum DKFZ) or scientific companies (located in Heidelberg Technology Park). There is limited industry

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.