East and west morton

Coordinates: 53°52′41″N 1°51′14″W / 53.878°N 1.854°W / 53.878; -1.854 East Morton is a small village which lies 1 mile north of Bingley and 3 miles south-east of Keighley, in the county of West Yorkshire, England. The village of East Morton was mentioned in the Domesday Book. The parish of Morton was formally created by an act of Parliament in 1846. West Morton remains largely a collection of farmhouses and cottages spread over a wide area, and sits at the southern foot of Rombalds Moor.

Landmarks

East Morton has a Public House called the Busfeild Arms named after the local Busfeild family who lived in the area in the 19th Century, hence the apparent misspelling of the name. There is also a Church of England Primary School and St. Luke's church dating back to only 1851, when it was consecrated for worship.

East Morton has grown substantially in recent years, with several major housing developments, including 'Waterside Fold' which adjoins the Leeds and Liverpool Canal. The village also incorporates a golf course called Fardew and a recreational playground (with swings).

External links

  • DMOZ


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.