World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Education Act 1633

Article Id: WHEBN0015833807
Reproduction Date:

Title: Education Act 1633  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: History of education in Scotland, Education Act 1646, School Establishment Act 1616, 1633 in Scotland, Compulsory education
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Education Act 1633

The Education Act 1633 was an Act of the Parliament of Scotland (1633 c. 5) that ordered a locally funded, Church-supervised school to be established in every parish in Scotland, and included the means to realise that order. The act was passed by the Parliament at Edinburgh on 18 June 1633, titled "Ratification of the act of council regarding plantation of schools". It stated: [1]

  • with the advice of Parliament, the king (Charles I) ratifies the Act of Privy Council dated 10 December 1616 at Edinburgh, made regarding the establishment of schools.
  • in addition:
    • bishops have the power to assess land for taxation purposes, for the establishment and maintenance of the schools, with the consent of the landowners, and with the consent of most of the parishioners.
    • should a landowner refuse to appear so that he might give consent, then it will be with the consent of most of the parishioners only.
    • any person may petition the Privy Council for redress of any grievances concerning this tax.
    • a formal notice must be provided to landowners, notifying them of the time to appear (in order that they might give their consent).

This act reflected the current status of the ongoing Episcopalian-Presbyterian power struggle by specifying school supervision by bishops (as per the Episcopalian view; the Presbyterian view was supervision by presbyteries).

The act was less successful than it might have been in that it required the consent of local parishioners, which was not always obtained. The loophole was closed by the Education Act 1646.

See also

Footnotes

  1. ^


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.