World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ellesmere, England

Article Id: WHEBN0001804603
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ellesmere, England  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Thomas Telford, Coton Hill, Shropshire, List of twin towns and sister cities in the United Kingdom, List of places in Shropshire
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Ellesmere, England

Coordinates: 52°54′30″N 2°53′40″W / 52.9082°N 2.8944°W / 52.9082; -2.8944

Population 3,223 
OS grid reference SJ398349
Civil parish Ellesmere Urban
Unitary authority Shropshire
Ceremonial county Shropshire
Region West Midlands
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Postcode district SY12
Dialling code 01691
Police West Mercia
Fire Shropshire
Ambulance West Midlands
EU Parliament West Midlands
UK Parliament North Shropshire
List of places

Ellesmere /ˈɛlzmɪər/ is a small market town near Oswestry in north Shropshire, England, notable for its proximity to a number of prominent lakes, the Meres.


Ellesmere Castle was probably an 11th-century motte-and-bailey castle most likely built by either Roger de Montgomerie, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, or his son Roger the Poitevin at Castlefields overlooking the Mere. Only its earthworks now remain, with the top of the motte being used for the bowling green, which still commands a fine view.

In 1114, King Henry I gave Ellesmere to William Peverel as a part of the Maelor, which included Overton & Whittington at that time. His descendants retained Ellesmere until apparently the late 1140s when the lordship was acquired, probably by force, by Madog ap Maredudd of Powys. Madog died in 1160 and Ellesmere came into the hands of King Henry II.

In 1177 King Henry II gave the manors of Ellesmere and Hales in England to Dafydd ab Owain Gwynedd (who already had a castle at Rhuddlan and was, by this time, the sole ruler of Gwynedd. Earlier, in the summer of 1174, Dafydd had married Emme of Anjou, half sister of Henry, and sister of Hamelin de Warenne, Earl of Surrey, both illegitimate children of Geoffrey V, Count of Anjou). Dafydd remained Lord of Ellesmere until his death in 1203.

In mid-April 1205, Llywelyn the Great married Joan, Lady of Wales illegitimate daughter of King John and Ellesmere was given to them as a wedding gift. Llywelyn's mother was Marared (Margaret), daughter of Madog ap Maredudd, Prince of Powys. There is evidence that, after her first husband Iorwerth's death, Marared married in the summer of 1197, Gwion, the nephew of Roger Powys of Whittington Castle. She seems to have pre-deceased her husband, after bearing him a son, David ap Gwion, and therefore there can be no truth in the story that she later married into the Corbet family of Caus Castle (near Westbury, Shropshire) and later, Moreton Corbet Castle. Ellesmere was ordered to be attacked by King Henry III in 1231, but Llywelyn retained control of the lordship until his death in 1240. In 1241 King Henry III ordered John Lestrange to repair the wooden castle of Ellesmere.

The lordship appears to have later passed into the hands of Llywelyn ap Gruffydd or his brother Dafydd ap Gruffydd, grandsons of Llywelyn ab Iorwerth and last of the native Princes of Wales. The castle fell to royal troops from Chester during March 1282.

In 1287, Oliver Ingham, who was an English commander and administrator in Aquitaine during the War of Saint-Sardos and early Hundred Years War was born in Ellesmere. His daughter Joan married Robert ("Roger") le Strange, son of Lord Strange of Knockin & Isolda de Walton.

By 1294, the preceptory of Dolgynwal (Ysbyty Ifan, Denbighshire, on the banks of the River Conwy) had been united with Halston, which was subsequently the administrative centre for all Knights Hospitaller estates in North Wales. Dolgynwal, which had been founded c. 1190, had acquired Ellesmere Church, its most substantial property, from Llywelyn the Great in 1225

In 1435, Griffin Kynaston, Seneschal of the Lordship of Ellesmere, (born at Stocks of landed gentry - descended from the princes of Powys), gave evidence at Shrewsbury to confirm the age of John Burgh, Lord of Mowthey, sponsored by Lord John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shrewsbury, Lieutenant of Ireland.[1] Griffin's fourth son, Sir Roger Kynaston, was appointed for life as Escheator and Sheriff of Merioneth and became Constable of Harlech Castle and Sheriff of Shropshire. Through his second marriage to Elizabeth Grey, their descendants derived royal descent. Humphrey Kynaston, the son of Roger and his second wife Elizabeth Grey was, in 1491, declared an outlaw by King Henry VII and took shelter in a cave in the west point of Nesscliffe Rock, called to this day "Kynaston's Cave". He was pardoned in 1493.

The former Marcher Lordship of Ellesmere (formerly a Hundred in its own right) was annexed to Shropshire and the Hundred of Pymhill by section 11 of the Laws in Wales Act 1535.

Francis Egerton, 1st Earl of Ellesmere and Viscount Brackley, was born Lord Francis Leveson-Gower, in Ellesmere in 1800. A patron of the arts, in 1848 he purchased at auction for 355 guineas from the estate of Richard Temple-Grenville, 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Chandos, the only known (or suspected) portrait of William Shakespeare in existence. Ellesmere Island in Canada was named after him.

There was a tannery located on the edge of the Mere in what is now known as Cremorne Gardens. These gardens were given to the people of Ellesmere by Lord Brownlow who was heavily involved in the Edward VIII abdication crisis of 1936.


The town is located by the side of 'The Mere', one of the largest natural meres in England outside the Lake District and one of nine glacial meres in the area. ('glacial' means that the depression occupied by the mere was the location of a block of ice that persisted at the end of the last Ice Age.) These meres are different to those in the Lake District in that they do not have a flow of water into them to maintain the level.

An artificial island in the Mere was constructed in 1812 from soil dug out during the making of the gardens at Ellesmere House. This was later named Moscow Island, as Napoleon was forced to retreat from Moscow that year. The Mere has a visitors' centre and is popular with birdwatchers, many of whom visit to see Grey Herons nesting. There are eight other meres nearby: Blakemere, Colemere, Crosemere, Kettlemere, Newtonmere, Whitemere, Sweatmere and Hanmer Mere.

The civil parish which constitutes the town is Ellesmere Urban; the surrounding parish, covering a large rural area, is Ellesmere Rural.


Major employers in the area include:

  • Fullwood - fabrication
  • Fabdec - fabrication
  • Tudor Griffiths group
  • Cargotec UK ~ comprising HIAB, Moffett, Multilift. Part of Cargotec Oy, Finland [1]
  • ETC Sawmills - local sawmill
  • Lakeside Coaches - coach operator
  • ABP Meat Processors - food processing
  • Tesco - retail
  • Ellesmere College - education

The town also has many small shops in the centre of the town like Spar and Co-op


The A495 and A528 roads cross at Ellesmere. The latter runs 15 miles south-southeast from Ellesmere to the county town, Shrewsbury.

The town lies on a spur of the Llangollen Canal, which eventually terminates at Pontcysyllte near Wrexham. It was originally known as the Ellesmere Canal. Thomas Telford was overall director of its construction. Work lasted from 1793 to 1805 with the aim of reaching the coast at Ellesmere Port (named after the town), but it never got that far due to costs and eventually the triumph of the railways. During its construction, Telford lived in a house next to the canal in Ellesmere, which still stands today.

Ellesmere no longer has a railway, but it was once on the Oswestry, Ellesmere and Whitchurch Railway main line of the Cambrian Railways. However, the section from Whitchurch to Welshpool (Buttington Junction), via Ellesmere, Whittington, Oswestry and Llanymynech, closed on 18 January 1965 in favour of the more viable alternative route via Shrewsbury. Ellesmere was also the terminus of the Wrexham and Ellesmere Railway branch line to Wrexham (Central), via Overton-on-Dee, Bangor-on-Dee and Marchwiel. This line closed on 10 September 1962. Ellesmere railway station still stands and is now converted to offices.

Bus Services are operated by Arriva Midlands, Bryn Melyn and Tanat Valley Coaches. The main services are as follows:

  • 53 to Oswestry via Dudleston Heath, St. Martins, Gobowen and the Orthopaedic Hospital - roughly hourly Monday to Saturday, with two journeys daily continuing from Ellesmere to each of Severn Sisters and Welshampton (Arriva Midlands);
  • 449 to Oswestry via Welsh Frankton and Whittington - roughly hourly Monday - Saturday, with 3 journeys daily continuing from Ellesmere to Welshampton (Tanat Valley Coaches, with Arriva Midlands operating the three Welshampton services: one in the morning and two in the evening);
  • 501 to Shrewsbury via Cockshutt, Myddle (most but not all) and Harmer Hill - hourly with some longer gaps (Bryn Melyn).
  • 502 to Wrexham via Dudleston Heath, St. Martins, Chirk and Ruabon - four per day outward and three return ( Bryn Melyn).


  • Ellesmere Old Town Hall - Ellesmere's most notable building, built in 1833.
  • The Boathouse Restaurant and Visitor Centre - alongside the Mere, recently refurbished with £2.1 million Lottery Grant
  • Oteley Hall and Park, built for Charles Kynaston Mainwaring in 1827. How ever the Hall had to be re-built during the 20th century after a terrible fire destroyed the building.


The town has two schools. Ellesmere Primary School is a primary and nursery school for boys and girls aged 4–11. The Lakelands School provides state-paid education for boys and girls in the 11-16 age range (for whom schooling is compulsory). Several other nearby schools serve the wider community, such as Welshampton Church of England School, which recently scored among the highest in the country in OFSTED reports in all categories.

A short distance outside the town is Ellesmere College, a public (i.e., private) boarding school founded in 1884 by Canon Nathaniel Woodard for sons of the middle classes. It is now a fully co-educational school catering for pupils from 7-18. Lakelands School forming known as Lakelands School Sports and Language college, is located on Oswestry Road.


Sports clubs in Ellesmere include the cricket club, which after a number of years in the doldrums is on the rise with a successful first XI which was runner up in the Shropshire Cricket League Division 4 in 2006 and were Division 3 champions in 2007 and were promoted to the First Division as second division runners up at the end of the 2008 season.

Ellesmere Rangers Football Club has gone from strength to strength over recent years and is now competing in the Midland Football Alliance. Ellesmere Rangers F.C are now fighting for their survival in the Midland Football Alliance, where they are struggling to win games.

Notable people

In chronological order by year of birth:-

See also


  • Remfry, P.M., Whittington Castle and the families of Bleddyn ap Cynfyn, Peverel, Maminot, Powys and Fitz Warin (ISBN 1-899376-80-1)

External links

  • Maelor Saesneg - The Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust
  • photos of Ellemere and surrounding area on
  • Ellesmere castle
  • BBC panoramic view of mere
  • 'The Romance of Fouk le fitz Warine' an epic tale involving Mellett de Ellesmere
  • Ellesmere Carnival
  • Ellesmere Cricket Club
  • British History online - Knights Hospitallers and the preceptory of Halston
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.