World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Elm Mott, Texas

 

Elm Mott, Texas

Elm Mott is an unincorporated community in McLennan County, Texas, United States. It is located near the intersection of Interstate 35 and Farm to Market Road 308, eight miles north of Waco.

Elm Mott is part of the Waco Metropolitan Statistical Area.

Geography

Elm Mott is located at approx. 31°40'18" North, 97°5'58" West (31.672, 97.099)

History

The area was settled shortly after the Civil War. The community was known as Geneva until residents applied for a post office in 1872. As there was already a Geneva, the name Elm Mott was chosen, for a nearby elm grove.

By the 1890s, the community had approximately 150 residents. Its population grew to 247 by 1900 and 300 by 1914. In spite of a drought and the Great Depression, Elm Mott maintained a population of 250 during the 1920s and 1930s.

In 1951, the Elm Mott Independent School District merged with the Lakeview Independent School District to form the Connally Independent School District.

The population of Elm Mott stood at 275 in the 1950s, fell to 260 in the 1960s, then grew from a population of 190 in the 1970s to an area population of 3,113 with 1,244 housing units as cited by ZIP Code Tabulation Area (ZCTA) of 76640. U.S. Census Data of 2000 breaks down this 3,113 figure to 904 residing within the urban Elm Mott community and 2,209 residing in the rural areas surrounding the (Class Code U6) community.

External links

  • Elm Mott from the Handbook of Texas Online
  • Street map from Mapquest
  • Topographic map from TopoQuest
  • Aerial photograph from Terraserver
  • U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Elm Mott, Texas

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.