World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0000998134
Reproduction Date:

Title: Enghien-les-Bains  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mistinguett, Deuil-la-Barre, Denis Ménochet, Hugues Obry, Jean Berthoin
Collection: Communes of Val-D'Oise, Spa Towns in France
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Boardwalk by the Lake of Enghien in the town centre. In the background is the Casino of Enghien-les-Bains
Boardwalk by the Lake of Enghien in the town centre. In the background is the Casino of Enghien-les-Bains
Coat of arms of Enghien-les-Bains
Coat of arms
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
Location (in red) within Paris inner and outer suburbs
Country France
Region Île-de-France
Department Val-d'Oise
Arrondissement Sarcelles
Canton Enghien-les-Bains
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Philippe Sueur
Area1 1.77 km2 (0.68 sq mi)
Population (2006)2 12,324
 • Density 7,000/km2 (18,000/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 95210 / 95880
Elevation 33–53 m (108–174 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Enghien-les-Bains (French pronunciation: ​) is a commune in the northern suburbs of Paris, France. It is located 13.5 kilometres (8.4 mi) from the centre of Paris, in the département of Val-d'Oise.

Enghien-les-Bains is famous as a spa resort and a well-to-do suburb of Paris, developed in the nineteenth century around the scenic lake of Enghien. A casino, the only one in the vicinity of Paris, is located on the shores of the lake.

The Hotel des Quatre Pavillons, circa 1825
The thermal baths


  • Name 1
  • History 2
  • Transport 3
  • Casino 4


The suffix les Bains (literally "the Baths") was added to the name when the commune was incorporated in 1850, to distinguish this place from the Belgian city of Enghien, near Mons, and to acknowledge the thermal baths for which Enghien-les-Bains is famous.

The name Enghien itself does refer to the Belgian city, which was a fief of the princes of Condé, a cadet branch of the French royal family, who inherited the duchy of Montmorency in 1633. In 1689 they were allowed by King Louis XIV to rename the duchy of Montmorency to be the "duchy of Enghien", in order to revive the title, duc d'Enghien, which they had lost in 1569 at the death of Louis I de Bourbon, prince de Condé, who had not legally registered the title.

The village of Montmorency (now a city) continued to be known as "Montmorency", despite the official name change, but the name "Enghien" clung to the nearby lake and marshland that would later become the commune of Enghien-les-Bains.


Before the French Revolution, what is now Enghien-les-Bains was a lake and a marshland under the jurisdiction of Montmorency.

In 1766, a priest at the oratory of Montmorency discovered a warm sulphur spring near the lake of Enghien, and the area began to develop as a spa resort.

At the creation of the communes in 1790, during the French Revolution, the area of Enghien was withdrawn from the jurisdiction of Montmorency and divided between several communes.

In the nineteenth century, the development of Enghien led to its incorporation as a commune. The commune, which was named Enghien-les-Bains, was created on 7 August 1850 by detaching a part of the territory of Deuil-la-Barre and merging it with a part of the territory of Saint-Gratien, a part of the territory of Soisy-sous-Montmorency, and a part of the territory of Épinay-sur-Seine.


Enghien-les-Bains is served by two stations on the Transilien Paris–Nord suburban rail line: La Barre–Ormesson and Enghien-les-Bains.


Known as the biggest place to gamble near Paris, Enghien les Bains casino, which opened in 1901 was recently renovated to provide luxury and comfort to all tourists traveling to the capital of France.

The resort has two hotels and offers to

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.