World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Flushing Fields

 

Flushing Fields

Flushing Fields was purchased by the Memorial Field of Flushing Corporation in 1921 at what was at the time open farmland on the northern edge of Flushing. From its beginning, the park served as the home field for the softball, football and track teams from Flushing High School. The name of the park and monument at its southern section honor residents of Flushing killed in the First World War.

In 1930, the income generated by sports games at Memorial Field failed to meet the tax burden for the property and its owners approached the City, offering to transfer a portion of the field to the Parks Department as a playground. The central section of the property, containing an athletic field and grandstand was transferred in the following year to the Board of Education for continued use by Flushing High School. In 1935, the bequest of Flushing Fields to the City was recorded and an Art Moderne-style memorial was completed on the southern portion of the property.

The Flushing War Memorial is unique in that it honors both men and women. Its location in a public park not only recognized the individuals who died but also serves as a constant reminder to the neighborhood of the great sacrifice made by local residents for the county. The granite stele carries a bronze plaque inscribed with 70 names and a quote from the Gospel of John 15:13. "Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Following the City’s acquisition of Flushing Fields, the site was divided into three sections, the Memorial Field of Flushing on Bayside Avenue, which contains the Flushing War Memorial, the Flushing High School Memorial Field in the center, and the Leonardo Ingravallo Playground on the northern section of the site. The playground contains a baseball field, two softball fields, courts for basketball, handball and tennis, and a playground.

The playground was reconstructed in 1995 and the ballfield in 2003, updating the play equipment with safety features and improved drainage. Flushing Fields remains a popular venue for organized sports in Flushing, a lasting gift to the city by the neighborhood’s residents.

References

  • "Offer Playground to City for Tax Aid" New York Times April 13, 1930
  • "Taxes Heavy, Group Offers Land to City" Brooklyn Daily Eagle April 13, 1930

External links


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.