World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Fort Whipple, Arizona

Fort Whipple
Prescott, Arizona
Type Army fortification
Site information
Controlled by  Arizona
Condition tourist attraction
Site history
Built 1863
In use 1863 - 1913
Built by  United States
Garrison information
Occupants United States Army

Fort Whipple was a U.S. Army post which served as Arizona Territory's capital prior to the founding of Prescott, Arizona. The post was founded by Edward Banker Willis in December 1863 [1] in Chino Valley, Arizona, but was moved in May 1864 to Granite Creek near the present day location of Prescott. The post was closed in 1913. Soon after retiring as a U.S. Army post, it became a Military Hospital that was used throughout the World War I and World War II eras. The Fort is still a veteran's hospital today and is also a tourist attraction. The outpost is named afer Amiel Weeks Whipple, a Union General who served in the American Civil War, and died at the Battle of Chancellorsville due to injuries.

Fiorello LaGuardia's father, Achille was bandmaster there in the 1890s and Fiorello attended school in nearby Prescott, Arizona.

Along with being a hospital, the fort still has buildings on the hills nearby, which once served as the officers quarters. Now, the buildings are homes to nurses and doctors of the hospital.

Fort Whipple Museum

One of the military officer's quarters has been turned into the Fort Whipple Museum, with artifacts and history about the fort and hospital, including medical instruments, Army weaponry, the Buffalo Soldiers, maps, photographs and memoirs written by those stationed there. The museum is operated as a joint project of the Sharlot Hall Museum and the Bob Stump Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

Reference

  1. ^ FortWiki

External links

  • Fort Whipple Museum - Sharlot Hall Museum

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.