World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Fossano

Article Id: WHEBN0002921103
Reproduction Date:

Title: Fossano  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Jules Dupuit, Paola Barale, Juvenal of Narni, Sant'Albano Stura, Genola, Piedmont
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Fossano

Fossano
Comune
Città di Fossano
Fossano Castle.
Fossano Castle.
Coat of arms of Fossano
Coat of arms
Fossano is located in Italy
Fossano
Location of Fossano in Italy
Coordinates:
Country Italy
Region Piedmont
Province Cuneo (CN)
Frazioni Boschetti, Cussanio, Gerbo, Loreto, Maddalene, Mellea, Murazzo, Piovani, San Lorenzo, San Martino, San Sebastiano, Santa Lucia, Sant'Antonio Baligio, San Vittore, Tagliata
Government
 • Mayor Davide Sordella
Area
 • Total 130 km2 (50 sq mi)
Elevation 375 m (1,230 ft)
Population (31 December 2010)[1]
 • Total 24,854
 • Density 190/km2 (500/sq mi)
Demonym(s) Fossanesi
Time zone CET (UTC+1)
 • Summer (DST) CEST (UTC+2)
Postal code 12045
Dialing code 0172
Patron saint Juvenal of Narni
Saint day First Sunday of May
Website Official website

Fossano is a town and comune of Piedmont, Italy, in the province of Cuneo. It is the fourth largest town of the Province of Cuneo, after Cuneo, Alba and Bra.

It lies on the main railway line from Turin to Cuneo and to Savona, and has a branch line to Mondovì.

Chief industries of the town include confectionery (with Italian industries Balocco and Maina), chemicals, metallurgy, and textiles.

Contents

  • History 1
    • Etymology 1.1
  • Main sights 2
    • Old town 2.1
    • Castle of the Princes of Acaja 2.2
    • Other sights 2.3
  • People 3
  • Twin towns 4
  • References 5

History

Fossano appeared as a commune in 1236, founded by a Guelph league of cities, but in 1251 had to yield to Asti. In 1304 it was acquired by the Marquisate of Saluzzo. It finally surrendered in 1314 to Filippo d'Acaia, whose successor handed it over to the house of Savoy.

Etymology

The name Fossano could be the transformation of the name "locus" or "fundus faucianus", from the Roman first name Faucius, or derive from the word "fossato" (ditch), in Piedmontese "fossà", from which "fossan" (inhabitant of the ditch).The sinkings are in fact characteristic of the hill on which the first city village rose. The historians agree speaking about “great ditch of the Chiotto”in dialect Ciot, hole, pit... Another alternative hypothesis is that the name comes from the latin “fons sana" (healthy spring), to indicate the presence in the proximitiy of a drinkable water spring.

Main sights

Old town

The old part of the town of Fossano lies in the high part of the town. It is divided in two borghi (ancient quarters): Borgo Piazza (Square's Quarter), developed in the 15th through 18th centuries, and Borgo Vecchio (Old Quarter), the oldest part of the town, dating from the Middle Ages. Rich in mediaeval, Renaissance and Baroque buildings, it is characterized by the ancient portici (arcades), built on both sides of via Roma (the main street of the old town) but also along other streets, such as via Cavour, via Garibaldi, via Barotti, via Muratori. On the Eastern side, the old town is delimited by viale Mellano, a pedestrian promenade with a wonderful sight of Langhe; on the Western side, along via Martiri dell'Indipendenza, viale Sacerdote and viale Bianco, you can enjoy the panorama of South-western Alps, whose apex is Monviso. Some sections of the ancient town walls are still extant.

Castle of the Princes of Acaja

It is a massive castle with four high towers, begun by Filippo d'Acaia in 1314 and finished in 1332. It has a square plan with four powerful towers at each side, connected by passages with merlons. One century later Amadeus VIII of Savoy turned it into a ducal residence; the beautiful inner courtyard, designed by Gaspare Solari, is from the late 15th century. The castle, after serving as jail and barracks, is now the seat of cultural events and of one of the biggest libraries of the region.

Other sights

The cathedral was reconstructed at the end of the 18th century in Neoclassicist style, replacing the former 13th century church.

The town's hospital and the Trinity Church were designed by Francesco Gallo in the 18th century. The Palazzo del Comandante is a Baroque building constructed in the 17th century. There are also Mineral Baths and a center for agriculture and cattle-breeding.

People

See also Category:People from Fossano

Twin towns

References

  1. ^ All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
  •  


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.