World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Free State of Oldenburg

Article Id: WHEBN0011190111
Reproduction Date:

Title: Free State of Oldenburg  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Landeskirche, Weimar Republic, Eutin, Saterland Frisian language, Rhineland-Palatinate
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Free State of Oldenburg

Free State of Oldenburg
Freistaat Oldenburg
State of Germany

1918–1946
 

 

Flag Coat of arms
Flag Coat of arms
Location of Oldenburg
Location of Oldenburg within Germany
Capital Oldenburg
Government Republic
History
 •  Established 1918
 •  Disestablished 1946
Area
 •  1925 6,427 km2 (2,481 sq mi)
Population
 •  1925 545,172 
Density 84.8 /km2  (219.7 /sq mi)

The Free State of Oldenburg (}

}}: Freistaat Oldenburg) was a state of the Weimar Republic. It was established in 1918 following the abdication of the Grand Duke Frederick Augustus II following the German Revolution.

In 1937, it lost the exclave districts of Eutin near the Baltic coast and Birkenfeld in southwestern Germany to Prussia and gained the City of Wilhelmshaven; however, this was a formality, as the Hitler regime had de facto abolished the federal states in 1934.

By the beginning of World War II in 1939, as a result of these territorial changes, Oldenburg had an area of 5,375 km2 (2,075 sq mi) and 580,000 inhabitants.

After World War II, Oldenburg was merged into the newly founded state of Lower Saxony as the administrative region (Verwaltungsbezirk) of Oldenburg, both of which became a part of Federal Republic of Germany in 1949. The two enclaves became part of the States of Schleswig-Holstein and Rheinland-Pfalz respectively.

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.