World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Gersekarát

Article Id: WHEBN0016806938
Reproduction Date:

Title: Gersekarát  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Vas County, List of populated places in Hungary, Telekes
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Gersekarát

Gersekarát

an aerial view of Sárvíz Lake
Gersekarát
Gersekarát
Location of Gersekarát

Coordinates: 46°58′26″N 16°44′48″E / 46.97389°N 16.74667°E / 46.97389; 16.74667

Country Hungary
Region Western Transdanubia
County Vas
Government
 • Mayor Gyula Herczeg
Area
 • Total 19.92 km2 (7.69 sq mi)
Population (2005)
 • Total 762
 • Households 325
Postal Code 9813
Area Code 94
Website www.gersekarat.hu

Gersekarát is a village in Vas county, Hungary. In 2005 the population was 762 people in 325 households.

Location

Gersekarát lies 10 km (6 mi) west-southwest of Vasvár, 16 km (10 mi) east-southeast of Körmend, and just north of the Sárvíz Brook (Hungarian: Sárvíz-patak). Other nearby villages include Sárfimizdó (4 km (2.5 mi)), Telekes (4 km), Döbörhegy (4 km), Döröske (5 km (3 mi)), Petőmihályfa (5 km), Andrásfa (6 km (4 mi)) and Halastó (6 km).

History

The history of Gersekarát is really the history of two villages, Gerse and Karátföld, which were separate communities until 1950 (see below). The first official mention of Gerse comes from 1272; Karátföld from 1313. Both villages were created by clear-cutting the ancient forest of the area. In the first decade of the 14th century, there was an armed struggle for power between rival noble factions, the so-called "Domination of Gerse" (Hungarian: gersei hatalmaskodás). During of this struggle a member of the Pethő family was killed, and the village church was burnt down.

In 1448 the serfs of Gerse revolted against officials of the comitatus. In the course of putting down the uprising, the town was occupied by the comitatus, and only by the order of János Hunyadi was it returned to its earlier landlords, the Pethő family of Gerse.

During the Turkish occupation, Gerse was depopulated twice. It was re-founded by a Turkish spahi, Haszán Kara. Overall both Gerse and Karátföld endured many Turkish attacks.

In 1766 there was another serf uprising. It was suppressed, and some participants were brought before the royal courts. At the end of the 18th century, Gerse fell under the control of the Festetics family. Karátföld, being a noble village, was able to keep its remaining privileges until 1848.

Under the influence of the 1868 Education Act, community schools were established first in Karátföld, and soon after in Gerse. In 1906 the town gained a notary, and in 1907 a post office. During the decades surrounding the turn of the century, the towns lost much of their population due to emigration, World War I, and the ensuing Spanish Flu pandemic and typhus.

In 1927 Gerse was connected to Hungary's telephone network. Gerse received a new school building in 1930; this was the so-called "multi-storied school," which today houses the town's notary and local government offices. The Minister of the Interior suggested joining Gerse and Karátföld in 1937, but the citizens rejected the proposal and the idea was dropped. In 1938 regular medical services became available.

The 1950s and 60s were decades of major changes for the two villages. The official joining of Gerse and Karátföld took place October 1, 1950; at this time the united town received the name Gersekarát. In 1951 the town began to be electrified. In 1952 the current school building was constructed. In 1953 the town council formalized the streets' names, which are still in use today. From 1957 the town received regular bus services, connecting it to other towns and villages. In 1963 the new Community Center (Hungarian: Művelődési Ház) was constructed. In 1964 the local water tower was inaugurated. In 1966 Gersekarát joined with Sárfimizdó to form one common town council, with Telekes joining also four years later. The kindergarten was built in 1969. In 2001 a 33-hectacre fishing lake was created on the town's southern border by damming the Sárvíz Brook.

Sights and Attractions

One attraction of Gersekarát is Lake Fias (Hungarian: Fiastó), a small lake at the northern part of the village. Several species of protected plants can be found growing on the banks of the lake. At the southern end of the village lies the man-made 33.3 hectacre lake. Part of the lake is reserved for fishing; the other part can be used for swimming, sunbathing, jet-skiing, and other water sports. Accommodation can be found either in campsites next to the lake, or in rental houses and rooms in the village itself.

Picture gallery

External links

  • (Hungarian) Gersekarát's Official Webpage
  • „Lake Fias & Country” webzin Day to Day in Gersekarát

Coordinates: 46°58′N 16°45′E / 46.967°N 16.750°E / 46.967; 16.750

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.