World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Giardino delle rose (Firenze)

Article Id: WHEBN0027940629
Reproduction Date:

Title: Giardino delle rose (Firenze)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Via Camillo Cavour, Torre degli Alberti, Torre degli Amidei, Giardino dell'Iris, Loggia del Pesce
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Giardino delle rose (Firenze)

Florence Rose Garden, view a view of the city

The Rose Garden is a park in Florence Oltrarno, Tuscany, Italy. Located between Viale Poggi, Via di San Salvatore and Via dei Bastioni, it offers a great view of the city. The garden is opened all the year, from 9am to sunset [8pm (may-sept), 6pm (oct, mar, apr), 5pm (nov-feb)].

History

It was created by architect Giuseppe Poggi in 1865, commissioned by the municipality of Florence as the city was going to be the new capital of Italy. It has a surface of c. 1 ha, over terraces. Once part of the property of the Oratorian Fathers, the area was trasfrormed into terraces by Attilio Pucci, who started a collection of roses. In 1895 the garden was opened for the first time to public during the Arts and Flowers Feast, that was held each may.

In 1998, the garden gained a Japanese Shorai oasis, donated by Yasuo Kitayama and the Kodai-ji Zen temple by the Florence's twin city of Kyoto. Since September 2011 the garden hosts twelve sculptures ny the Belgian artist Jean-Michel Folon, donated by his widow to the municipality of Firenze. The sculptures are: Partir (2005), Un oiseau (1993), Chat-oiseau (1994), Chat (1996), Vingt-cinquième pensée (2001), Méditerranée (2001), Panthère (2003), Walking (2003), Je me souviens (2003), Partir (2005), L’envol (2005).

References

  • Page at Diladdarno.it site


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.