World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Glenmont, New York

Article Id: WHEBN0003971270
Reproduction Date:

Title: Glenmont, New York  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bethlehem, New York, Albany County, New York, Albany, New York, Glenmont, WROW
Collection: Bethlehem, New York, Hamlets in Albany County, New York, Hamlets in New York, Populated Places on the Hudson River
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Glenmont, New York

Glenmont
hamlet
Formerly: The Abbey
Name origin: For Cornelius Glen[1]
Country United States
State New York
Region Capital District
County Albany
Municipality Town of Bethlehem
River Hudson River
Coordinates
Timezone EST (UTC-5)
 - summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
ZIP Code 12077
Area code 518
Location of Glenmont within the state of New York

Glenmont is a hamlet in the town of Bethlehem, Albany County, New York. Glenmont is in the northeastern corner of the town and is a suburb of the neighboring city of Albany. It was once accessible from the Hudson River by way of several docks but the river's channels have since been filled in.

History

Map of Glenmont in 1891

Glenmont dates back to the founding of the first hotel in Bethlehem, The Abbey Hotel, built in the early 18th century. The Abbey was built by Hugh Jolley who came to the Capital District from Galway in 1772. East of the hotel along the Hudson's shores was a racing track. The hotel was situated halfway between Albany and Van Wie('s) Point. Both Van Wie and The Abbey were important stops along the Hudson River for passengers traveling by boat (and later steamboat) from New York City to Albany. In 1804 the Albany and Bethlehem Turnpike's lower leg traveled from Kenwood south to The Abbey. The hotel was demolished in the 1960s.[2]

Location

References

  1. ^ Ren Vasiliev (2004). From Abbotts to Zurich: New York State Placenames. Syracuse University Press. p. 90.  
  2. ^ "Town of Bethlehem, NY History". Town of Bethlehem. Retrieved 2010-02-25. 
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.