World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Government House, Dominica

Article Id: WHEBN0004218545
Reproduction Date:

Title: Government House, Dominica  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Roseau, Government Houses of the British Empire and Commonwealth, National Palace (Dominican Republic), Government House, The Bahamas, Government House, Barbados
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Government House, Dominica

Government House, located in Roseau, is the official residence of the President of Dominica. Previously it was used as the official residence of the Governors of Dominica.

The residence of the British governors of the island, and for a time the French, is situated on a low hill to the south of the commercial center of Roseau. Written accounts from the 1790s make mention of various plants and an avenue of trees in the grounds of Government House. The gardens here have suffered periodically from hurricanes. Many fine trees were destroyed by the main storms of the 20th century in 1916, 1930 and 1979.

Sir William Young was sworn in as governor of Dominica on 14 November 1770. He was responsible for among other things, directing the construction of the first Government House which he built near the Fort Young.

Once the official residence of the

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.