World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Great Duck Island, Maine

Article Id: WHEBN0002029156
Reproduction Date:

Title: Great Duck Island, Maine  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Frenchboro, Maine, Duck Island
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Great Duck Island, Maine

Coordinates: 44°09′08″N 68°14′55″W / 44.15222°N 68.24861°W / 44.15222; -68.24861 Great Duck Island is a small island (1.5 miles (2.4 km) long by 0.5 miles (0.8 km) wide) in the Gulf of Maine, 11 miles (18 km) south of the entrance to Frenchmans Bay, not far from Acadia National Park. Along with nearby Little Duck Island and 11 others, it is part of the town of Frenchboro, Maine.

According to The Nature Conservancy, the island provides habitat for the largest nesting Black Guillemot colony in Maine. Great Duck is an active site for ecological research, conducted by the College of the Atlantic at its Alice Eno Biological Station. Much of this research focuses on the nesting habits of Leach's Storm-petrel.

History

The island was inhabited year-round from sometime after 1837 when William Gilley purchased the island, until 1986 when the Coast Guard left and the lighthouse was automated. For much of this period it was used to pasture sheep, support the light station, and provide a summer retreat for mainland property owners.

Great Duck Island Light was established in 1890, and the original lighthouse, head keeper's house, fog signal building, storage building, and boathouse from this year still stand.

Bill and Ellen Bigenho purchased most of the island beginning in 1949. According to their daughter Ellen Spain, they used a 16th or 17th century map to dig up a pirate treasure of gold and silver in 1953.

In 1963 Boston psychotherapist George Cloutier bought most of the island from the Bigenhos. In the 1970s Cloutier constructed an airstrip, and ran a psychiatric clinic and intentional community on the island including a geodesic dome and yurts, described as an "experiment in gestalt psychiatry that must be unique in island annals."[1] The clinic closed in 1979.

In 1985 The Nature Conservancy and the State of Maine purchased most of the island in joint tenancy. In 1998 the College of the Atlantic acquired the 12-acre (4.9 ha) light station under the Maine Lights Program, renaming it the Alice Eno Biological Station in 2000.

See also

References

External links

  • Great Duck Island website from the College of the Atlantic
  • A brief history of Great Duck Island from the College of the Atlantic
  • Photos and reminiscences from Ellen Spain
  • "Maine's Great Duck Island Light Station is for the Birds (and Students)" by Jeremy D'Entremont, Lighthouse Digest, April 2003


Template:Maine Islands

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.