World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

HIPO Corps

HIPO Corps
Armed HIPO policeman
Active 1944-45
Country Denmark
Allegiance Nazi Germany
Branch Auxiliary police
Role Helping the Gestapo fighting the Danish resistance movement

The HIPO Corps (Danish: HIPO-korpset) was a Danish auxiliary police corps, established in 1944 by the German Gestapo when the Danish police was disbanded and most of the regular policemen on September 19, 1944 were arrested and deported to Nazi concentration camps in Germany. Most members were recruited among Danish collaborators. The word HIPO is an abbreviation of the German word Hilfspolizei.

The purpose of HIPO was to help the Gestapo as an auxiliary police unit. HIPO was organized under, and quite similar to, the Gestapo. Some men were uniformed to be visible and some dressed as civilians and worked in secrecy. The uniformed men wore a black uniform with the Danish police insignia. HIPO, as well as the Gestapo, had their own informers. The major difference was that most of the Gestapo were Germans working in an occupied country, while the HIPO Corps consisted entirely of Danes working for the German occupiers.

During the last winter of the war HIPO members killed and tortured. In retaliation and as a warning, the corps terrorized the civil population and blew up houses, factories and even the Tivoli Gardens.

The Lorenzen group, also known as section 9c, was an armed paramilitary group of Danes subordinate to the HIPO Corps.

After the war, service in the HIPO corps was one of those crimes of collaborationism that retroactively became capital offenses. Some two to three hundred HIPO members were prosecuted under these laws. About a dozen were executed between 1946 and 1950. A somewhat larger number received death sentences that were later reduced to long prison terms or paroled.

References

  • Haaest, Erik (2007). Hipofolk. Documentas. 

See also

External links

  • Webpage with details about HIPO Corps
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.