Hwctr

Heavy Water Components Test Reactor
Heavy Water Components Test Reactor
Operating Institution Savannah River Site
Location Aiken, South Carolina
Type Heavy Water
Power 70 (thermal)
Construction and Upkeep
Construction Began 1958
First Criticality 1962
Technical Specifications
Cooling Heavy water
Neutron Moderator Heavy water

Heavy Water Components Test Reactor (HWCTR) was an experimental nuclear reactor at the Savannah River Site in Aiken County, South Carolina. It was commonly called "Hector."

It was constructed starting in 1958 in a temporary construction area, which is now called "B" Area. This is near the intersection of SRS roads "2" and "C." It is identified as Building 770-U. It has a cylindrical structure with a hemispherical dome. Its diameter is 70 ft (21.3 m) with a height of 125 ft (38.1 m). About 60 ft (18.3 m) is located underground. The building was designed to contain an internal pressure of 24 psig (165 kPa). It had a 70 MW thermal output.

It was built to test the concept of a heavy water moderated and cooled reactor for civilian power. It was tested from late 1962 to December 1964.[1] It was not restarted. The fuel was removed and the facility was secured by 1971. All auxiliary buildings were removed. The reactor building awaits its final disposition.[2][3]

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.