World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hainburg an der Donau

Article Id: WHEBN0001257556
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hainburg an der Donau  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Mathias Haydn, List of residences of Joseph Haydn, Hermann Kövess von Kövessháza, Turkish music (style), Konrad Lorenz
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hainburg an der Donau

Hainburg an der Donau is a town in the Bruck an der Leitha district, Lower Austria, Austria.

Geography

Hainburg is located on the right bank of the Danube river, 4 km southwest of Devín (Slovakia), 12 km west of the Slovak capital Bratislava and 43 km east of the Austrian capital Vienna. It is part of the Industrial Quarter Industrieviertel in Lower Austria.

45.87% of the land is forested, 54.13% is used for agriculture and urban areas.

Population

History

  • The first settlers in the area were the Illyrians and the Celtic people, who lived on the Braunsberg hill. In the Roman era the area was under the influence of the nearby town of Carnuntum, the capital of the province of Pannonia Superior, where Marcus Aurelius once resided.
  • Emperor Henry III ordered a castle built here in 1050.
  • The town had 2 gates, 15 towers, and a 2.5 km wall in the 13th century.
  • The castle in 1108 belonged to the Babenbergers.
  • In the second half of the 12th century, the ransom received from Richard the Lionheart built the castle along with the Viennese gate around 1220 to 1225. The lower part wasn't built until 1267 to 1268 by Ottokar II of Bohemia.
  • On February 11, 1252, Ottokar II, later the King of Bohemia, married the last Babenberger Margaret of Austria.
  • In Battle of Dürnkrut in 1278 Ottokar II lost the castle to the Habsburgs.
  • In 1482 after a several months siege the castle was occupied by Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus and his Black Army.
  • In 1629, the castle belonged to the city.
  • On July 11, 1683, the Second Ottoman Campaign destroyed the city along with the castle.
  • In 1709, Count Löwenberg rebuilt the castle.
  • Here Joseph Haydn the composer came as a six-year-old child to learn the rudiments of music from his relative Josef Mathias Franck, and to sing as a choirboy from 1737–1740. There is a Haydn Fountain on the Hauptplatz in the town.
  • Hainburg gained a garrison in the 19th century.
  • Since the end of the First World War, Hainburg has been the easternmost town in Austria.
  • In 1984, protesters against plans to put a power station in the Hainburger Au of the Danube forced the government of Austria to withdraw.
The church in Hainburg
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.