World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hanawa Line

Article Id: WHEBN0024547057
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hanawa Line  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: KiHa 100 series, Oga Line, Yahiko Line, Ueno-Tokyo Line, Kashima Line
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hanawa Line

Hanawa Line
花輪線
Overview
Type Heavy rail
Locale Iwate, Akita prefectures
Termini Koma
Ōdate
Stations 27
Operation
Opened 1914
Owner JR East
Rolling stock KiHa 110 series DMUs
Technical
Line length 106.9 km (66.4 mi)
Track gauge 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
Electrification None
Route map

The Hanawa Line (花輪線 Hanawa-sen) is a railway line in Japan linking Koma Station in Morioka, Iwate Prefecture and Ōdate Station in Ōdate, Akita Prefecture, Japan. The line extends 106.9 km with a total of 27 stations. Also known as the Towada-Hachimantai Shikisai Line (十和田八幡平四季彩ライン), the Hanawa Line is operated by East Japan Railway Company (JR East).

History

Kosaka Railway Co. sulphuric acid train in its final year of operation

The Akita Railway Co. opened the first section from Odate to Suehiro in 1914/15, and extended the line to Rikuchu-Osato in 1923.

The Japanese Government Railway (JGR) opened the Koma - Tairadate section in 1922, and extended the line in sections from 1926, reaching Rikuchu-Osato in 1931. The Akita Railway Co. was nationalised in 1934 and the JGR then operated the entire line.

Freight services ceased in 1984, and CTC signalling was commissioned in 1999.

Former connecting lines

  • Higashi-Obuke station - The Matsuo Mining Co. opened a 12 km line to Higashi Hachimantai in 1914 to transport sulphur ore. The line was electrified at 1500 VDC in 1951, and closed in 1972.
  • Odate station -

The Kosaka Railway Co. opened a 23 km 762mm gauge line to its Kosaka Refinery in 1908, together with a 4 km branch from Shigenai to Kizawa the following year. Passenger services ceased on the Kizawa branch in 1926, and it closed in 1951. The 10 km Kosaka - Shigenai section was electrified in 1928, and extended 6 km in 1949, but was decommissioned when the line was converted to 1067mm gauge in 1962. Passenger services ended in 1994, and the remaining traffic was sulphuric acid, but following two major derailments the line closed in 2009.

The company also opened a 5 km 762mm gauge line to the Hanaoka mine in 1914 including a bridge over the Ou Main Line at Odate, which was converted to 1067mm gauge in 1951 to enable ore wagons to be forwarded via JNR trains. Freight services ceased in 1983 and the line closed in 1985.

Basic data

  • Operator: East Japan Railway Company (Services and tracks)
    • Koma — Ōdate: 106.9 km (66.4 mi)
  • Gauge: 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
  • Stations: 27
  • Double-tracked section: None
  • Electrification: None
  • Railway signalling:
    • Kobuchizawa — Komoro: Special Automatic, a simplified automatic system.
  • CTC center: Morioka Operations Control Center

Stations

Station Japanese Distance (km) rowspan="2" style=
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.