World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Headsville, West Virginia

Article Id: WHEBN0002637704
Reproduction Date:

Title: Headsville, West Virginia  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of placenames in Hampshire County, West Virginia, Mineral County, West Virginia, Fort Cocke, Laurel Dale, West Virginia, Reeses Mill, West Virginia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Headsville, West Virginia

Headsville
Unincorporated community
Headsville United Methodist Church
Headsville United Methodist Church
Headsville is located in West Virginia
Headsville
Location within the state of West Virginia
Coordinates:
Country United States
State West Virginia
County Mineral
Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
 • Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)
GNIS feature ID 1554672[1]

Headsville is an unincorporated community in Mineral County, West Virginia, USA. It is part of the Cumberland, MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Area. It lies between U.S. Route 50 and West Virginia Route 46 alongside Pattersons Creek.

Fort Cocke of the French and Indian War was located near Headsville.

History

The early settlement of Headsville began in the mid-18th century as settlers began to survey and patent land along the Fort Cocke by Captain William Cocke in 1775 on a site along Patterson Creek just south of Headsville. The small palisade fort was abandoned during the French and Indian War. Early names for the community included "Sheetz's Mill."

The Headsville United Methodist Church began worshiping in the mid-19th century on the Parker Farm. In 1856, James Carskadon, Rev. Isaac H. Carskadon, and Henry Head oversaw the construction of a frame church on a small knoll overlooking Patterson Creek at the site of the Parker Family burial ground. The church is still in use and remains a well-preserved example of ante-bellum, rural church buildings.

Post office

The original Headsville Post Office was chartered in 1813 as "Sheetz's Mill." The first postmaster was Charles Marshall. This first post office was closed in 1815, reopened in 1828 and then closed again in 1866. The Headsville Post Office was chartered on March 5, 1868 and continued operation until December 31, 1951. At the time of its closure, the post office had occupied the same building for longer than any such establishment in the United States. It was purchased by the Smithsonian Institution and moved to Washington, D.C. where it reopened in 1971 in the National Museum of American History.[3]

After 35 years as a working model of a 19th-century post office and general store, the historic Headsville Post Office shut its doors when the museum was closed for renovation in 2006, and plans were made to reopen it at the American Philatelic Center in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania, headquarters of the American Philatelic Society.

A specially prepared climate-controlled pavilion was prepared to house the Headsville post office, named for former Third Assistant Postmaster General Gordon C. Morison and his wife Mary, who did much to promote stamp collecting. The pavilion was dedicated October 20, 2007. The first shipment of the expertly dismantled Headsville post office, carefully crated by the Smithsonian for transport, arrived in late 2007 and early 2008, and was reassembled in Bellefonte after the Morison Pavilion had been tested for environmental suitability. The historic Headsville Post Office was reopened as a Contract Post Office on March 3, 2008.

References

  1. ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Headsville, West Virginia
  2. ^ Morrison, Charles. "Early Land Grants and Settlers Along Patterson Creek". 
  3. ^ McMaster, Len. "Hampshire County West Virginia Post Offices" (PDF). 


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.