World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

High's Dairy Store

Article Id: WHEBN0004153346
Reproduction Date:

Title: High's Dairy Store  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Royal Farms, List of convenience stores, 7-Eleven, United Refining Company, CHS Inc.
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

High's Dairy Store

High's Dairy Stores is a chain of convenience stores in Maryland and Delaware. It once had locations in Virginia, and Washington, D.C. as well, many of which have been converted to 7-Elevens. The company is based in Hanover, Maryland.

History

It was founded as High’s Ice Cream by L.W. High in Richmond, Virginia in 1932 and purchased by James R. Gregory, Jr. (1914–1994) with two partners in 1938, at which time there were 16 stores and an ice cream plant in Richmond. In 1941, Convenient Systems, Inc. of Winston-Salem, North Carolina purchased the chain, then numbering 50 stores. Gregory remained at the helm until 1976. The company was acquired by the Capital Milk Producers Cooperative, who grew the chain to 350 High's Dairy Stores and Restaurants, and sold the Virginia stores in 1987 to Southland Corporation (owners of the 7-Eleven chain). Many High's sell Citgo or Shell gasoline. High's still features hand-dipped ice cream as well as other dairy products. The company now has over 50 stores in Maryland.

Ice cream

The right to produce High's brand of ice cream was sold in 1989 to Kay's Ice Cream, based in Knoxville, Tennessee (which was subsequently acquired by C. F. Sauer Company in 1990). The company no longer manufactures High's brand of ice cream. Until 2010 there was a High's Ice Cream parlor remaining in Portsmouth, Virginia, but it sold Hershey's brand ice cream. At the time of its closing, it still had the original High's interior (though showing its age) including the white and black checkerboard floor tiles that High's Ice Cream stores were known for.

External links

  • High's Dairy Stores website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.