World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Hoggs Hollow

Article Id: WHEBN0000953828
Reproduction Date:

Title: Hoggs Hollow  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: York Mills (TTC), York Mills, Loretto Abbey Catholic Secondary School, Miller Tavern, Don Valley
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Hoggs Hollow

Hoggs Hollow
Neighbourhood
A eastward view along Wilson Avenue toward Yonge Street as it passes through Hoggs Hollow.
A eastward view along Wilson Avenue toward Yonge Street as it passes through Hoggs Hollow.
Country  Canada
Province  Ontario
City Toronto

Hoggs Hollow is one of the most affluent neighbourhoods in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, located in the Don River Valley and centred on the intersection of Yonge Street and York Mills Road/Wilson Avenue.

Hoggs Hollow is named after Joseph Hogg, a Scotsman who settled in the area in 1824. Hogg operated a whisky distillery and a grist mill, and was viewed as the most successful of all the millers in the valley. The name is usually written without the apostrophe as Hoggs Hollow, but sometimes appears as Hogg's Hollow.

In 1856, John and William Hogg, sons to James Hogg, subdivided their father's estate under the name "Hoggs Hollow". The Hoggs Hollow subdivision included one hundred and forty-one lots. With the area full of quick sand, swamps and bogs, only a few houses were actually built at this time, however. the subdivision stood in close proximity to the historic village of York Mills. A school, post office, pottery, blacksmith, livery, stable, store, golf links and clubhouse, hillside cemetery (at Yonge Street and Mill Street) and St. John's Anglican Church served the community, one largely made up of Scottish, Irish and English immigrants.

Subdivision of the present day Hoggs Hollow neighbourhood began in the 1920s with the creation of lots, layout of roads, and design of homes reflecting the aesthetic of the English countryside. In 1925, a two room elementary schoolhouse named the Baron Renfrew School opened to replace an earlier structure at 45 York Mills Road (formerly Mercer Avenue and/or concession road 19) that was destroyed by fire.

In 1929, the Loretto Sisters Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary moved their Motherhouse and Loretto Abbey Catholic Secondary School to the area.

The neighbourhood grew in stages and was finally completed in the 1960s. Both St. John's Anglican Church and Baron Renfrew (renamed York Mills Public School) grew in size with various additions added. Agricola Finnish Lutheran Church was built in 1967, serving Toronto and area's Finnish Lutheran community.

Hoggs Hollow was connected to Toronto by the Yonge St. streetcar until it was replaced by the Toronto Transit Commission's Yonge Subway in the early 1970s. Hoggs Hollow is now served by the York Mills subway station.

In 1982, York Mills Public School was decommissioned and renovated as office space for the school board. The historic two room schoolhouse exterior was restored. The school was demolished in 2004 with bricks used to create a memorial.

Hoggs Hollow was a part of the City of North York until 1998 when that city merged with five other municipalities and a regional government to form the new "City of Toronto".

The church attendance has diminished at St. John's, other churches and synagogues now serve the people of the area.

On October 15, 1954, the valley was inundated by Hurricane Hazel and many attempts have since been made to manage water in the natural watershed of a valley though many homes are still prone to moisture and flooding from the watertable. A steel truss bridge crossing Yonge Street at York Mills Road was damaged and replaced by a temporary bailey bridge.

On March 17, 1960, the incident popularly known as the "Hoggs Hollow Disaster" occurred. Five young Italian immigrant workers were killed while constructing a tunnel for a water main at Hoggs Hollow. The details of the accident, where they were trapped 35 feet underground in a cramped, dimly lit tunnel, sparked a public outcry over the lack

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.