World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Itō Line


Itō Line

Itō Line
Izu Kyuko Railway 2100 series "Resort21" train at Izu-Taga Station, March 2010
Type Passenger
Termini Atami
Opening 1935
Operator(s) JR East
Line length 16.9 km
Track gauge 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
Ito line map

The Itō Line (伊東線 Itō-sen) is a railway line owned by the East Japan Railway Company which connects Atami and Itō Stations, along the east coast of Izu Peninsula in Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan. From Itō, the line continues south to Shimoda under the privately owned and operated Izu Kyūkō Line.

Station list

Japanese Distance from
Atami (km)
Transfers Location
(Through service for Tokyo via Tōkaidō Main Line)
Atami 熱海 0 Tōkaidō Shinkansen
Tōkaidō Main Line
Atami Shizuoka
Kinomiya 来宮 1.2
Izu-Taga 伊豆多賀 6.0
Ajiro 網代 8.7
Usami 宇佐美 13.0 Itō
Itō 伊東 16.9 Izukyu Izu Kyūkō Line (through service)
(Through service for Izukyū Shimoda via Izu Kyūkō Line)


Initial plans called for the Japanese National Railways (JNR) to build a spur line linking Atami on the Tōkaidō Main Line with Shimoda. However, funding was limited in the 1930s due to a combination of a tight fiscal policy under Prime Minister Osachi Hamaguchi during the Great Depression, and a number of technical issues. The projected route of the Itō line along the mountainous east coast of the Izu Peninsula required numerous tunnels and bridges. Workers digging a tunnel near Usami encountered problems with underground hot springs, similar to that experienced in the construction of the Tanna Tunnel, which had recently been completed years later than originally projected and far over budget.

On March 30, 1935, the initial 8.7km section of the Itō Line linking Atami with Ajiro was opened. The second (8.3km) section from Ajiro to Itō was opened on December 15, 1938. Both sections were electrified at 1500 VDC when opened. Further work was delayed, and then canceled due to the outbreak of World War II.

CTC signalling was commissioned in 1958, and the Atami - Kinomiya section was duplicated in 1968. The entire line was originally designed to be built as double track, and earthworks were undertaken on this basis, including tunneling, but to date only the first 1.2km of the line has been duplicated.

Construction south of Itō resumed in 1961, when the private-sector Tokyu Corporation acquired the rights to complete the line to Shimoda and established the Izukyū Corporation to manage construction and operations of this section.


This article incorporates material from the corresponding article in the Japanese WorldHeritage

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.