World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Izuhakone Railway Sunzu Line


Izuhakone Railway Sunzu Line

Sunzu Line
3000 series train on the Izuhakone Sunzu Line
Type Commuter rail
Locale Tokai region
Termini Mishima
Stations 13
Opened 1898
Owner Izuhakone Railway
Line length 19.8 km (12.3 mi)
No. of tracks single
Track gauge 1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)
Electrification 1,500 V DC overhead catenary

The Izuhakone Railway Sunzu Line (伊豆箱根鉄道駿豆線 Izuhakone Tetsudō Sunzu-sen) is a commuter railway line of the Izuhakone Railway, a private railroad in Japan. The line connects Mishima Station in the city of Mishima with the Shuzenji Station in the city of Izunokuni, both within Shizuoka Prefecture. The name "Sunzu" comes from the former provinces of Suruga and Izu, although the line at present operates only within the borders of former Izu Province.


  • Stations 1
  • History 2
  • References 3
  • External links 4


Station Japanese Distance (km) Between stations (km) Exp Transfers Location
Mishima 三島 0.0 - Tōkaidō Main Line
Tōkaidō Shinkansen
Mishima Shizuoka Prefecture
Mishima-Hirokōji 三島広小路 1.3 1.3  
Mishima-Tamachi 三島田町 2.0 0.7  
Mishima-Futsukamachi 三島二日町 2.9 0.9  
Daiba 大場 5.5 2.6  
Izu-Nitta 伊豆仁田 7.0 1.5   Kannami
Baraki 原木駅 8.5 1.5   Izunokuni
Nirayama 韮山 9.8 1.3  
Izu-Nagaoka 伊豆長岡 11.4 1.6  
Takyō 田京 14.2 2.8  
Ōhito 大仁 16.6 2.4  
Makinokō 牧之郷 18.6 2.0   Izu
Shuzenji 修善寺 19.8 1.2  


The Sunzu Line opened for operations on May 20, 1898, connecting Zuso-Mishima Station (present-day Mishima-Tamachi Station) with Nanjō Station (present-day Izu-Nagaoka Station). The terminus of the line was moved to Mishima Station (present day Shimo-Togari Station) on June 15, 1898, and the southern end of the line was extended to Ōhito Station on July 17, 1899.

The line became part of the Izu Railway (伊豆鉄道 Izu Tetsudō) on July 19, 1907, which in turn became the Sunzu Electric Railway (駿豆電気鉄道 Sunzu Denki Tetsudō) on April 1, 1912. This company merged with Fuji Hydroelectric (富士水電) in 1914, and was spun back out as the Sunzu Railway (駿豆鉄道 Sunzu Tetsudō) on November 5, 1917. The line was electrified by June 1919, and the southern terminus extended to Shuzenji Station on August 1, 1924. In May 1933, regularly scheduled weekend services to Tokyo Station began operation, but were later suspended during World War II. With the opening of the Tanna Tunnel in 1934 and the re-routing of the Tōkaidō Main Line, the Sunzu ceased operations at Shimotogari Station and its northern terminus became the new Mishima Station. A rail yard and train factory was completed at Daiba Station on June 10, 1937.

In 1949, the Japan National Railways began semi-express and limited-express train operations from Tokyo. The Sunzu Railway Company was acquired by the Izuhakone Railway on June 1, 1957. The line was upgraded from 600 V to 1,500 V on September 7, 1959. All freight operations were discontinued as of June 16, 1972. An ATS system was installed in December 1972 and a CTC system in 1985 (upgraded in 2007). As of March 2007, all stations were equipped with automatic wickets compatible with the PASMO Smart card system.


  • Harris, Ken and Clarke, Jackie. Jane's World Railways 2008-2009. Jane's Information Group (2008). ISBN 0-7106-2861-7

External links

Media related to Izuhakone Railway at Wikimedia Commons

  • Izuhakone Railway website (Japanese)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.