World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Jacques d'Amboise (bishop)

Article Id: WHEBN0020209290
Reproduction Date:

Title: Jacques d'Amboise (bishop)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Josse van Clichtove, Pierre d'Amboise, House of Amboise
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Jacques d'Amboise (bishop)

Jacques d'Amboise (between 1440 and 1450 – 27 December 1516) was a French religious dignitary and patron of medieval France. He was abbot of Jumièges then of Cluny, and bishop of Clermont. He was a member of the House of Amboise, an old noble family.

Life

He was the son of Anne de Bueil and Pierre d'Amboise, lord of Chaumont, as their seventh of eighteen children. Entering the Benedictine order he was elected abbot of Jumièges in January 1474, replacing his brother Louis on his appointment as bishop of Albi. Jacques took his oath of loyalty as abbot on 20 February 1474 and took possession of the abbey on 28 May.

In 1485 he succeeded a Bourbon as abbot of Cluny, rebuilding the Cluny abbots' hôtel in Paris as well as its now-lost chapel and collège. Located beside the Gallo-Roman ruins, the hôtel de Cluny hosted several royal visits and would be inhabited by cardinal Mazarin in 1634. He also built the abbatial palace of Paray-le-Monial.


The bishopric of Clermont had been left vacant at the end of 1504, and Louis XII appointed Jacques d'Amboise to it – he held the post from 1505 until his death. He completed the diocese's cathedral and replaced its tiles with a lead roof, as well as richly adding to its library and creating a tapestry in the choir of which four pieces are now in St Petersburg. In 1515 he built the fountain that bears his arms and name in Clermont.

Like his brothers Louis and Georges, he had a great sense of family : he appointed several of his nephews to church posts, adorned all his works with his family arms in or palé de gules and even inserted prayers for his family name in the eucharistic prayer, when this was actually only allowed to sites of the apostolic college.

Source

This article incorporates information from the equivalent article on the français World Heritage Encyclopedia.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.