World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

James Anthony Griffin

Article Id: WHEBN0023016022
Reproduction Date:

Title: James Anthony Griffin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Roman Catholic Diocese of Columbus, St. Nicholas' Catholic Church (Zanesville, Ohio), Edward Francis Hoban, Ursuline College, Edward Aloysius Mooney
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

James Anthony Griffin

Most Reverend
James Anthony Griffin
Bishop Emeritus of Columbus
Church Roman Catholic Church
See Columbus (emeritus)
In office April 25, 1983—October 14, 2004
Predecessor Edward John Herrmann
Successor Frederick F. Campbell
Orders
Ordination May 28, 1960
Personal details
Born (1934-06-13) June 13, 1934
Fairview Park, Ohio
Previous post Auxiliary Bishop of Cleveland (1979–1983)

James Anthony Griffin (born June 13, 1934) is an American prelate of the Roman Catholic Church. He served as Bishop of Columbus from 1983 to 2004.

Biography

The fifth of seven children, Griffin was born in Fairview Park, Ohio, to Thomas Anthony Griffin and Margaret Mary Hanousek. He attended St. Angela Merici School in Fairview Park, and St. Ignatius High School in Cleveland. He attended St. Charles College in Catonsville, Maryland, and Borromeo College in Wickliffe, Ohio, where he received his Bachelor of Arts degree in Philosophy. He attended St. Mary Seminary in Cleveland. Bishop John Krol ordained him to the priesthood on May 28, 1960, in St. John Cathedral.

Griffin spent one year as Associate Pastor at St. Jerome Parish in Cleveland. In 1961, he was sent to Rome to pursue graduate studies in Church Law. He received his Licentiate of Canon Law magna cum laude from the Pontifical Lateran University in 1963. Upon his return to the Cleveland Diocese, Griffin served as Secretary-Notary of the Marriage Court of the Cleveland Diocese for two years. He was appointed to the Chancery Staff in 1965, and served as Associate Chancellor and Vice Chancellor. During that time, he attended night classes at Cleveland State University and received his Doctorate in Civil Law summa cum laude in 1972. He passed the Ohio Bar and is a licensed attorney. Griffin served as Chancellor of the Diocese of Cleveland from 1973 until 1978.

In January 1978, he was appointed by Bishop James Hickey as Vicar General of the Cleveland Diocese and Administrator pro tem of St. John Cathedral in Cleveland. In April of that year, he was appointed pastor of St. William Parish in Euclid. In June 1979, he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of Cleveland. Pope John Paul II appointed Griffin the tenth Bishop of the Diocese of Columbus, Ohio on February 7, 1983. He was installed as Bishop of the Diocese of Columbus on April 25, 1983.

While serving as Bishop of Columbus, Griffin established the Foundation of the Catholic Diocese of Columbus (1985); inaugurated far-reaching planning processes for the Diocese; initiated the Legacy of Catholic Learning (1989) and Challenge In Changing Times (2000) campaigns to help meet the educational and future needs of the Diocese; and helped initiate the community-wide, faith-based task force titled “Breaking The Silence” that continues to work to reduce family violence. Bishop Griffin also served on a number of committees of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and was President of Catholic Relief Services (1991–1995).

Bishop Griffin announced his retirement on October 14, 2004, citing limitations brought on by age and arthritis that detracted from the energy necessary to serve the Church of Columbus as he had been accustomed. He announced concurrently that John Paul II had selected Bishop Frederick F. Campbell of the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis as his successor.

References

  • Diocese of Columbus
  • Catholic-Hierarchy.org
Catholic Church titles
Preceded by
Edward John Herrmann
Bishop of Columbus
1983–2004
Succeeded by
Frederick F. Campbell
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.