Jigrasheni Avetyats church

Jigrashen Avetyats Church
Ջիգրաշեն Ավետյաց եկեղեցի
Jigrashen Avetyats Church
Shown within Georgia
Basic information
Location Old Tbilisi, Georgia
Geographic coordinates 42°N 45°E / 42°N 45°E / 42; 45Coordinates: 42°N 45°E / 42°N 45°E / 42; 45

Affiliation Armenian Apostolic Church
Architectural description
Architectural style Armenian
Completed 1624 or 1729

Jigrashen Avetyats Church (Armenian: Ջիգրաշեն Ավետյաց եկեղեցի; Russian: Церковь Джиграшен св. Аветьяц) was an Armenian Apostolic church in Tbilisi, Georgia. It was destroyed in 1937-38 by order of Lavrentiy Beria along with 10 other churches in Tbilisi.

History

The foundation of this church has two main versions.

According to Simeon, archpriest of this church, in his note dated 1815 he mentions that according to the old men memories priests Barsegh, David and other brethren of St. Nshan church left the construction of St. Nshan and started constructing their new adobe Jigrashen. The place was presented by families of Pirgulyan and Ter-Danielyan. They constructed two men height walls. For long time the church remained unfinished. Receiving 60 tumans from Bejanbek from Gori made the construction up the ceiling. Later agha-Iovannes Amatuni coming to Tbilisi crashed the unfinished walls and started from beginning. The work he started was continued by his successor. In the western part they built using a new foundation. The construction ended in 7 years and cost 1700 tumans together with the bell-tower and the dome. Archpriest Simeon, who participated and overlooked the construction mentioned the construction ended in 1654. And the name was chosen mentioning "jigr" (heartiness), as if constructed in spite of St. Nshan adobe.

Another version says, the church was founded with financial support of the prior of the church ter Parsadan Moinov, completed in 1729 with support of Hakobjan Amatunov.

In 50–80s of 19th century Movses Sayatnyants, grandson of Sayat-Nova was the archpriest of the church.

Destruction

In 1937-38 Jigrashen was destroyed along with 10 other Armenian churches in Tbilisi on the orders of Lavrentiy Beria. The destruction was marked by protests by the local inhabitants and curses towards the destroyers. The church wouldn't collapse and people said: "It is made with jigyar, that is why it is not being destroyed". In the end dynamite was used to blow up the church.

References

  • (Russian) Армянские церкви Тбилиси - Джиграшени Аветьяц

See also

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.