World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kc2xak

Article Id: WHEBN0008437378
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kc2xak  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: History of Bridgeport, Connecticut, KPTV, December 29, History of television, UHF television broadcasting
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kc2xak

KC2XAK was the world's first UHF television station. It was simply a rebroadcast/broadcast translator transmitter of New York City's WNBT (NBC 4), and broadcast on UHF Channel 24 in Bridgeport, Connecticut. It went on the air on December 29, 1949.

The station's launch was code-named "Operation Bridgeport", as a test by RCA and NBC, to determine if the UHF spectrum was feasible to use for communications and broadcasting.

The station used a 1 kW transmitter with an 20-dB gain antenna on a 210-foot (64 m) tower elevated 450 feet (140 m) above average terrain. This resulted in an Effective Radiated Power of 10 kW.

Operation Bridgeport was apparently a success, but was shut down by RCA and NBC on August 23, 1952, after two and a half years of operation. Empire Coil purchased the KC2XAK transmitter, and the transmitter and support equipment was dismantled in Bridgeport under supervision of RCA. Dismantling began on August 25, and was shipped via truck and fast freight train to Portland, Oregon. It was re-assembled as a 250-foot (76 m) tower on Council Crest, more than 1,000 feet (300 m) above Portland on September 9, 1952. This became the very transmitter for Portland's KPTV as well being the first commercial UHF television station in the country.

Although KC2XAK was the first UHF station on the air, it was an experimental station. The first full-fledged UHF commercial television station honor goes to KPTV in Portland, Oregon, which broadcast on UHF Channel 27 in 1952, although it has operated on VHF Channel 12 since 1957.

Bridgeport is now covered over-the-air by WNBC 4, and the other .

See also

References

External links

  • KC2XAK on gginfo.com


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.