World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kv34

Article Id: WHEBN0002113554
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kv34  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Thutmose III, Valley of the Kings, List of burials in the Valley of the Kings, KV64, KV4
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kv34

KV34
Burial site of Thutmose III
Entrance to KV34
KV34 is located in Egypt
KV34
Coordinates
Location East Valley of the Kings
Discovered 1898
Excavated by Victor Loret
← Previous
KV33
Next →
KV35

Tomb KV34 in the Valley of the Kings (near the modern-day Egyptian city of Luxor) was the tomb of 18th dynasty Pharaoh Thutmose III.

One of the first tombs to be dug in the Valley, it was cut high in the cliff face of the furthermost wadi. A steep corridor leads down, in a dog-leg shape, from the entrance past a deep well to a trapezoidal antechamber. Beyond the antechamber lies the cartouche-shaped burial chamber, off which stand four smaller side chambers. The stone sarcophagus in which Thutmose's body was placed is still in place in the burial chamber, albeit damaged by tomb robbers.

Many of the wall decorations are in an unusual style not found elsewhere in the Valley of the Kings. On a yellow-tinged background (intended to resemble aged papyrus), the earliest known version of the Amduat is traced, depicting the gods of Ancient Egypt as simple (almost naive) stick figures, in papyrus writing style. The Litany of Ra also appears in the burial chamber, with a similar execution. (Also, on the way up the staircase to the tomb, you can see on the cliff wall graffiti done by the workmen building the tomb.) The tomb was plundered in antiquity and its location lost. It was rediscovered and first excavated in 1898 under Victor Loret.

Isometric, plan and elevation images of KV34 taken from a 3d model

Gallery

External links

  • Theban Mapping Project: KV34 - Includes description, images, and plans of the tomb.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.