World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kilmington, Devon

Article Id: WHEBN0010803214
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kilmington, Devon  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Axminster, Fosse Way, List of places in Devon, List of civil parishes in Devon, Kilmington, The Trafalgar Way, New Trafalgar Dispatch, High Sheriff of Devon, Loughwood Meeting House, Wilmington, Devon
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kilmington, Devon

Coordinates: 50°46′34″N 3°01′55″W / 50.775995°N 3.031923°W / 50.775995; -3.031923

Kilmington
Devon
OS grid reference SY272979
Shire county Devon
Region South West
Country England
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Postcode district EX13
Dialling code 01297
Police Devon and Cornwall
Fire Devon and Somerset
Ambulance South Western
EU Parliament South West England
UK Parliament East Devon
List of places
UK
England
Devon

Kilmington is a village near Axminster in East Devon off the A35 road.

It includes Coryton, the grade II listed surviving wing of a brick house with Portland stone dressings built in 1754-6 by Benedictus Marwood Tucker, sheriff of Devon in 1763. Some remains of the older mansion can also be seen at Old Coryton. This had been for many years the property of the Warren family, who sold it to William Tucker of Westwater in 1697. He built the old house, which passed to his son William, High Sheriff of Devon for 1726, who lived there until 1748. Benedictus, also the High Sheriff for 1763, was the latter's son. [1]

The parish church of St. Giles was rebuilt in 1862, it contains a large marble monument to Thomas Southcott of Dulshayes that was erected in 1735. The tower which is an earlier structure has six bells has some interesting gargoyles. Kilmington also has a cricket ground..[2]

References

External links

  • Village Website

Template:East Devon

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.