World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

King Abdul Aziz Air Base

 

King Abdul Aziz Air Base

Dhahran International Airport
File:Saudi dhahran airport.jpg
IATA: DHAICAO: OEDR
Summary
Airport type Military
Operator Ministry of Defence and Aviation
Location Dhahran
Elevation AMSL 84 ft / 26 m
Coordinates 26°15′55″N 50°09′07″E / 26.26528°N 50.15194°E / 26.26528; 50.15194Coordinates: 26°15′55″N 50°09′07″E / 26.26528°N 50.15194°E / 26.26528; 50.15194

Runways
Direction Length Surface
ft m
16R/34L 12,008 3,660 Asphalt
16L/34R 11,811 3,600 Asphalt

The Dhahran Airfield was an airfield operated by the United States from 1945 until 1962.[1] The military relationship that exists today between the United States and Saudi Arabia was highly influenced by the origin and development of this airfield.

Background

During World War II, the Persian Gulf and Arabian Peninsula were important staging and shipping routes for the U.S. to provide both lend-lease assistance to Russia, as well as supply the allied forces fighting the Imperial Japanese forces in Asia.

Owing to Saudi Arabia’s importance, primarily its location, in 1943 the US extended lend-lease status to Saudi Arabia, one of only three Arab countries to receive this aid. In 1944, the U.S. War Department (renamed in 1949 the United States Department of Defense) proposed building an airbase in or near Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.

History

In 1945, the U.S. and Saudi Arabia agreed signed the Dhahran Air Field Agreement. This agreement permitted the U.S. to build a small air field near the Arabian American Oil Company (ARAMCO) town. The use of the term “air field”, as opposed to “air base” was a direct result of U.S. sensitivity of Saudi Arabia’s concerns regarding imperialism. Further, full ownership of the airfield was scheduled to revert to Saudi Arabia at the conclusion of the war, after an agreed-upon three-year period during which the U.S. would have the rights to operate the field.

Despite the end of World War II in the European theater, in 1945, President Harry S. Truman signed the Agreement, which owing to the lack of any military justification, and again a reflection of Saudi Arabia’s concerns regarding imperialism and the symbolism of foreign bases on their soil, was promptly rejected by the King. The War Department, likewise, dropped their support of the project. However, the U.S. State Department, recognizing the economic benefits of this location, and the diplomatic benefits afforded by the agreement, continued to pursue development of the Dhahran Air Field. After Congress approved substantial economic development assistance, the U.S. State Department and the Saudi Government agreed, in August 1945, to develop the air field. Ironically, the War Department was forced to foot the cost of the construction.

In 1948, when the originally agreed-upon three-year post-war period of U.S. operations came to a close, the agreement was renegotiated. While the airfield had not been completed until 1946, too late to be of any benefit for World War II logistics (its original justification) it did provide benefits in the late 1940s, specifically in the context of the increasing tension between the U.S. and Soviet Union. In 1949 Dhahran airfield was the only airfield in the area which could support the United States Air Force’s B-29s. Thus, the airfield took on increasing importance in the U.S.’s eyes as one location in the U.S. strategy of the containment of communism. For Saudi Arabia, the base provided an element of security from the U.S. forces posted there, among Saudi Arabia’s growing concerns regarding their neighbors, particularly Yemen, and the Hashemites of Iraq and Transjordan. The 1948 agreement reverted ownership of the air base to Saudi Arabia, and on-going year-to-year leases, for which the U.S. would pay rent. As part of the U.S. concession for this on-going access to the air base, the U.S. agreed to send a military team to Saudi Arabia to consult on the Saudi defenses.

Broader military relationship

The agreed-upon military survey team, under the leadership of Colonel O’Keefe, arrived in Saudi Arabia in 1949, and the resultant 50-page “O’Keefe Report”, submitted to the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff in January 1950, provided the "first comprehensive U.S. plan for building a modern Saudi armed forces.”

In 1951 the year-to-year leasing agreement was retired in favor of what eventually became known as the Mutual Defense Assistance Agreement, one component of which was the deployment of U.S. military personnel to the Kingdom to provide military training to Saudi Arabia. These personnel were the forerunners of what became the United States Military Training Mission (USMTM). USMTM was established on June 27, 1953 and is still a fundamental component of the US/Saudi military relationship.

Recent history and commercialization

Through the 1950s, the Dhahran airfield began to emerge as a commercial transportation hub, as the nearby Dammam oil fields increased the overall economic viability of the area. Additionally, Trans World Airlines began using Dhahran as a hub for increasing transport to and from Asia and Europe.

The Dhahran airfield, and the emerging support facilities, became the Dhahran International Airport in 1961.

The United States finally abandoned its claims to the Dhahran airfield in 1962.

Dhahran served a significant role in the 1994 evacuation of U.S. citizens and personnel from Yemen, when that country slid into civil war. Also, in 1996 after the bombing of the Khobar Towers, in Operation Desert Focus, in which over 6,000 U.S. citizens and personnel were relocated within the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

The Dhahran airfield continued to serve as the Eastern Provinces commercial and military air hub until the completion, in 1999, of the King Fahd International Airport near Dammam.

References

See also

External links

  • Flight D, 7th Air Rescue Squadron, Dhahran Air Field, Saudi Arabia
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.