World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kiten, Burgas Province

Article Id: WHEBN0004511228
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kiten, Burgas Province  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sarafovo, Lozenets, Burgas Province, Golden Sands, Sadovo, Dolna Mitropoliya
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kiten, Burgas Province

Kiten
Kiten is located in Bulgaria
Kiten
Kiten
Location of Kiten, Burgas Province
Coordinates:
Country Bulgaria
Provinces
(Oblast)
Burgas
Government
 • Mayor Atanas Mihov
Elevation 1 m (3 ft)
Population (13.09.2005)
 • Total 1,131
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal Code 8284
Area code(s) 0550

Kiten (Bulgarian: Китен, meaning "lovely, pretty") is a seaside resort town on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast, part of Burgas Province. It is situated on the small Urdoviza peninsula, near the mouth of the Kiten River, and has two beaches: Atliman and Urdoviza.

Until the Balkan Wars in 1912–1913, there was only an unmanned pier used to export wood and charcoal on the site. Kiten was founded in 1931 by 30 families of Bulgarian refugees from Eastern Thrace who resettled there from the newly founded refugee village of Fazanovo. However, the area has roots from Antiquity, as amphoras from the 6th century BC were found on the south beach (Urdoviza). Kiten was declared a national resort in 1962, and since 1981 it had been administratively a quarter of nearby Primorsko. On 17 June 2005 the former village was proclaimed a separate town [1] in order to more effectively cope with the growing number of tourists, primarily from Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Serbia, Russia and Germany (as of June 2005).

Atliman beach

Honour

Kiten Point on Graham Land in Antarctica is named after the town.

References

  • Rajčevski, Stojan (2001). "Kiten". Krajbrežna Strandža: Toponimi i hidronimi. Sofia: Universitetsko izdatelstvo "Sv. Kliment Ohridski". pp. 34–35.  

External links

  • Kiten town council
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.