World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Klemm Kl 36

 

Klemm Kl 36

Kl 36
Role Touring aircraft
Manufacturer Klemm
First flight 1934
Introduction 1934
Primary user Germany
Produced 1934
Number built 12(?)

The Klemm Kl 36 was a 1930s German four-seat cabin touring and competition monoplane designed and built by Klemm.

Development

Following the success of the three-seat touring plane Klemm Kl 32 in the European touring plane championship Challenge 1932, the company was ordered by the German Reichsluftfahrtministerium (RLM) to develop another aircraft to take part in the next Challenge 1934. Due to changes of contest rules, it had to be more modern machine, four-seater with better performance and better STOL capabilities. Designer was Friedrich Fechner. As a result, new aircraft Kl 36 was a streamlined comfortable four-seater with rich wing mechanization, and was the fastest of all Klemms.

There were built 4 aircraft[1] of the first series Kl 36A (two powered with Argus As 17A, 225 hp inverted 6-cylinder in-line engine - registrations D-IJIP, D-IDIR, and two with Hirth HM8U, 250 hp inverted V8 engine - D-IHEK, D-IHAV, both engines were air-cooled).

Next, there was built 8 aircraft[2] of 0-series, designated Kl 36B. They were powered with different engines, including 160 hp radial engine Siemens-Halske Sh 14 A-1. One was completed with a retractable landing gear (D-IUHU). Because of lack of a weight limit, they were somewhat heavier, than Kl 36A.

Operational history

Four Kl 36As took part in the Challenge 1934 touring plane championship in August-September, but none completed a rally over Europe. A winner of two Challenges, Fritz Morzik, had to withdraw due to a fuel pump breakdown, but flew the rally track off the contest. During the technical part, they obtained good results in a minimal speed trial (57.67 km/h), but generally they proved inferior to the Fieseler Fi 97.

During World War II, Klemm Kl 36s served as liaison aircraft in the Luftwaffe.

Technical description

A mixed-construction low-wing cantilever monoplane with a conventional tailunit. A fuselage was made of steel frame, canvas covered. Three-part wing, outer parts of wings and tail surfaces were wooden, plywood covered. Wings were folding rearwards. The pilot and three passengers had an enclosed cabin, well glazed. The plane had a fixed tailskid landing gear, wheels had teardrop covers (removed during the Challenge contest due to weight). Wings were fitted with slats and flaps. Useful load was 490 kg. Engine in front, with two-blade propeller. Fuel tank 230 l.

Specifications

Data from Marian Krzyżan: Międzynarodowe turnieje lotnicze 1929–1934, Warsaw 1988, page 224-225

General characteristics
  • Crew: 1
  • Capacity: 3 passengers
  • Length: 9.2 m ( ft in)
  • Wingspan: 12 m ( ft in)
  • Height: 2.38 m ( ft in)
  • Wing area: 19.5 m2 ( ft2)
  • Empty weight: 560 kg (1235 lb)
  • Gross weight: 1050 kg (2315 lb)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Argus As 17A 6-cylinder inverted in-line piston engine, 168 kW (225 hp) each

Performance

  • Maximum speed: 250 km/h ( mph)
  • Cruising speed: 220 km/h ( mph)
  • Service ceiling: 5900 m ( ft)

See also

Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era


References

Notes
Bibliography
  • Marian Krzyżan: "Międzynarodowe turnieje lotnicze 1929–1934", WKiŁ, Warsaw 1988, ISBN 83-206-0637-3 (Polish language)
  • Luftarchiv
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.