World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Klieg light

Article Id: WHEBN0000867574
Reproduction Date:

Title: Klieg light  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Stage lighting instruments, Camp Ashcan, Laser lamp, Field-induced polymer electroluminescent technology, Solar street light
Collection: Stage Lighting Instruments
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Klieg light

Kliegl Brothers logo from the 1922 catalog

A Klieg light is an intense carbon arc lamp especially used in filmmaking. It is named after inventor John H. Kliegl and his brother Anton Tiberius Kliegl. They usually have a fresnel lens with a spherical reflector or an ellipsoidal reflector with a lens train containing two plano convex lens or a single step lens.

Contents

  • Film 1
  • Stage 2
  • See also 3
  • External links 4

Film

The carbon-arc source was so bright that it allowed film directors to make "day" at night, which also heralded the era of blinding actors – a term coined as "Klieg eye".

Stage

In the early days of spotlights, the name "Klieg light" became synonymous with any ellipsoidal reflector spotlight, another carbon-arc source or any bright source. Initially developed for film, the Klieg light was adapted to an incandescent stage fixture in 1911.

Although not completely certain, the title of the first ellipsoidal reflector spotlight (ERS), often goes to the 1933 Klieglight, which was first used to light an outdoor pageant in New York. Century Lighting introduced their Lekolite developed by Levy & Kook, hence the "Leko", in the same year.

Kliegl Brothers Universal Electric Stage Lighting Company was founded in 1896 and grew to be the largest stage lighting company in the world. The company closed in the 1990s.

See also

External links

  • Kliegl Bros
  • Joel Rubin interview


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.