World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Kolomna Kremlin

Article Id: WHEBN0007400965
Reproduction Date:

Title: Kolomna Kremlin  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Kolomna, Kremlin, Dmitry Donskoy, List of castles in Russia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Kolomna Kremlin

Kolomna Kremlin is a very large fortress in Kolomna, Russia. The stone Kolomna Kremlin was built from 1525–1531 under the Russian Tsar Vasily III. Before its reconstruction in 1531, the Kolomna Kremlin was made of wood. On its territory there are many Russian churches and monasteries: The Uspensky cathedral, the Voskresenky church, the Spassky monastery (14th century), and a number of others.

Buildings of the Kolomna Kremlin

Sviblova Tower and a view of the Kolomna Kremnlin. Picture by M. Kazakov. 1778 г.
Pyatnitskie Gates

The Kolomna kremlin once had 17 towers, four of which had gates, with the main gates being located at the northern and southern end of the complex. Only 7 towers and two parts of the wall have survived.

Here is a list of the towers (towers marked as gates means that a gate was running underneath it):

  • Pyatnitskie Gates
  • Kolomenskaya Tower
  • Granovitaya Tower
  • Yamskaya Tower
  • Simionovskaya Tower
  • Spasskaya Tower
  • Pogorelaya Tower
  • Voznesenskaya Tower
  • Ivanovskie Gates
  • Borisobglebskaya Tower
  • Kosie Gates
  • Voskresenskaya Tower
  • Sandirevskaya Tower
  • Bobretsevskaya Tower
  • Vodynie Gates
  • Sviblova Tower
  • Zastenochnaya Tower

Besides towers, there were two gates in walls: The Mihaelovskie Gates and the Melynychnie Gates

The Cathedral of the Ascension in the Kolomna Kremlin

Statistics

Number of towers: 17
Number of towers in the keep: 7
Number of gates: 3
Years of construction: 1525–1531
Area: 24 hectares
Length of wall: 1940 meters
Height of towers: 30–35 meters
Height of wall: 18–21 meters
Thickness of wall: 3-4.5 meters

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.