World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lamarck - Caulaincourt (Paris Métro)

Article Id: WHEBN0025634805
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lamarck - Caulaincourt (Paris Métro)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Paris Métro Line 12, Architecture of the Paris Métro
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lamarck - Caulaincourt (Paris Métro)

Lamarck — Caulaincourt
Date opened October 31 1912 (1912)
Municipality/
Arrondissement
the 18th arrondissement of Paris
Fare zone 1
Next stations
Paris Métro Line 12
Direction
Mairie d'Issy
Direction
Front Populaire
Abbesses Jules Joffrin
List of stations of the Paris Métro
Location of metro station

Lamarck — Caulaincourt (French pronunciation: ​[lamark colɛ̃kuʁ]) is a station on Line 12 of the Paris Métro in the Montmartre district and the 18th arrondissement of Paris.

Location

Lamarck — Caulaincourt is located in within the 18th arrondissement of Paris, which covers some of the northern-most parts of the city. Specifically, it runs beneath Rue de la Fontaine du But where it changes into a staircase. The station takes its name from the two main roads that cross near its entrance: Rue Lamarck and Rue Caulaincourt.

History

The station opened on 31 October 1912 as part of a northward extension of the Nord-Sud company's Line A from Pigalle to Jules Joffrin. In 1930, the Compagnie du chemin de fer métropolitain de Paris (CMP) bought out the Nord-Sud company and renamed Line A to Line 12 in order to conform to the former's convention.

Originally named Constantin Pecqueur, after the short street at the top of the entrance stairway, which in turn derives its title from the socialist economist of the same name, Lamarck — Caulaincourt opened as Lamarck, a reference to Rue Lamarck, the road at the bottom of the entrance stairwell. At a later time, the station's name changed to Lamarck (Caulaincourt), and finally received its current spelling of Lamarck — Caulaincourt. Rue Lamarck is dedicated to Jean-Baptiste Pierre de Monet, Chevalier de Lamarck (1744–1829), a French naturalist who is mainly remembered for his discredited theory of the inheritance of acquired traits. Rue Caulaincourt is named after the marquis Armand Augustin Louis de Caulaincourt (1773–1827), general, ambassador and Foreign Minister from 1813 to 1814.

Station layout

Street Level
B1 Mezzanine
Line 12 platforms
Side platform, doors will open on the right
Southbound ← Abbesses)
Northbound Jules Joffrin) →
Side platform, doors will open on the right

Design

The station has a very picturesque single entry (shown in the film Amélie) which is surrounded by two staircases ascending the hill of Montmartre. The platforms are 25 m (82 ft) below the entrance and are reached by a lift or a spiral staircase. Like most Paris Métro stations, at track level there are two tracks and two side platforms.

Gallery



Coordinates: 48°53′21″N 2°20′17″E / 48.889139°N 2.338159°E / 48.889139; 2.338159

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.