World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lancashire Telegraph

 

Lancashire Telegraph

Lancashire Telegraph
Type Local newspaper
Format Tabloid
Owner(s) Newsquest Media Group
Gannett
Editor Kevin Young
Founded 1886
Political alignment Centre
Headquarters 1 High Street, Blackburn
ISSN 1746-0522
Website LancashireTelegraph.co.uk

The Lancashire Telegraph, formerly the Lancashire Evening Telegraph, is a local tabloid newspaper distributed in East Lancashire, England. It has two separate geographic editions each day – one for the boroughs of Blackburn with Darwen, Hyndburn and Ribble Valley, and one for Burnley, Pendle, and Rossendale. There are around 20 towns in the area, including Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington, Darwen, Nelson, Clitheroe, Colne, and Rawtenstall.

The editor is Kevin Young who is also the group editor of the weekly Citizen series and the paid-for weekly, The Westmorland Gazette, in Kendal, England. The newspapers are owned by Newsquest, a division of the US firm Gannett.

History

The newspaper was founded by Thomas Purvis Ritzema, a young newspaper manager, who purchased two shops at 19 and 21 Railway Road, Blackburn, for the launch of his venture. The first copy appeared on the streets on 26 October 1886 and sold for a ha’penny (1.2p).

It was known then as the Northern Daily Telegraph and it was the first evening newspaper to be published in East Lancashire. In 1894, the head office was moved to the corner site of Railway Road and High Street.

From 7 September 1939, soon after the start of World War II, advertisements gave way to news on the front page. On 10 December 1956, it changed its title to the Northern Evening Telegraph and on 2 September 1963, the name changed again to Lancashire Evening Telegraph.

The newspaper used full colour for the first time, on 11 November 1963, with spot colour introduced on 25 January 1965, and colour in classified advertising following on 19 March 1965. In 1982, it moved to its present head office in the High Street, which marked the introduction of new computerised technology.

In 1995, it became the first regional newspaper in Britain to put daily, updated news on the internet.

In February 2006, the company announced it was to close its district offices in the Lancashire towns of Burnley, Accrington and Darwen, in order to cut costs. On 17 July 2006, the newspaper changed its name to the: Lancashire Telegraph, as it switched to overnight printing, in order to distribute copies in the morning.

It was North West: Newspaper of the Year in the How Do! Awards, 2011.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.