World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Leeds and Bradford Railway

Article Id: WHEBN0003590462
Reproduction Date:

Title: Leeds and Bradford Railway  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Shipley railway station, Steeton and Silsden railway station, Bingley railway station, Timeline of Bradford, Otley and Ilkley Joint Railway
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Leeds and Bradford Railway

The Leeds and Bradford Railway (L&BR) was formed in 1843 to bring the railway to Bradford: the line opened on 1 July 1846. The company was always closely allied with the Midland Railway, and within ten years the L&BR had been absorbed into the Midland, and disappeared.

History

The line and the two termini opened on 1 July 1846, with hourly services between the two and some direct services from Bradford to London Euston via Derby and Rugby. The nine intermediate stations opened within the next few weeks.

From 1848 an extension of the line ran via Skipton southwest towards Colne where it joined the East Lancashire Railway in 1849. This 11½ mile stretch was closed in January 1970. Today there is an active campaign to reinstate this missing stretch, led by the Skipton - East Lancashire Rail Action Partnership.

Background to construction of the line

During the 18th century, Bradford was becoming an important centre of the wool trade, but was beginning to be hampered by the cost of transport—the town is not on a river of any size, and moreover is in a deep valley. During the 1760s and 1770s, a group of Bradford businessmen were the driving force for creating the Leeds and Liverpool Canal and its offshoot the Bradford Canal, in order to improve the town's communications.

The canals were very successful for Bradford; but from the 1830s, railways began to be built around the country, and again a group of Bradford businessmen were eager to benefit from this development. Various schemes were started, but none received enough support. Nor could the North Midland Railway be persuaded to extend its Derby to Leeds line to Bradford.

At last in chairman. They obtained the necessary Act of Parliament in July 1843, to build a line from Wellington Street, Leeds to Bradford via Shipley; and also a link to the North Midland Railway's terminus at Hunslet Lane, to allow connections to the south.

The engineer in charge of the project was Aire valley to Shipley, and then south up Bradforddale to Bradford—the only reasonably flat approach to Bradford.

George Hudson was also chairman of the North Midland, and in 1844 he had persuaded the NMR and two other companies he controlled to merge, forming the Midland Railway. With him involved in both companies, the Midland was closely associated with the L&BR from the start, but they remained separate entities for a few years. However, by 1853 the Midland had absorbed the L&BR.

Calverley & Rodley Station, with a St Pancras to Bradford express on its last leg from Leeds in 1964

The line today

Today the line, and the four surviving stations on it, are run by West Yorkshire Metro: they form parts of the Leeds-Bradford Lines, the Airedale Line and the Wharfedale Line. Most services are provided by Northern Rail, with a few long-distance services from East Coast.

Features of the line

The stations and other features of the line were as follows, in order from Leeds to Bradford. Unless otherwise noted, the stations all closed on 22 March 1965.

References

  • Chapman, Stephen N.D.: Railway Memories No. 7: Airedale & Wharfedale Bellcode Books. ISBN 1-871233-05-4
  • Whitaker, Alan & Brian Myland 1993: Railway Memories No. 4: Bradford Bellcode Books. ISBN 1-871233-03-8
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.