World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Leova district

Article Id: WHEBN0003077564
Reproduction Date:

Title: Leova district  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Cantemir District, Demographics of Moldova, Filipeni, Leova, Colibabovca, Borogani
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Leova district

Leova
District (Raion)
Flag of Leova
Flag
Coat of arms of Leova
Coat of arms
Location of Leova
Country  Republic of Moldova
Administrative center
(Oraş-reşedinţă)

Leova
Government
 • Raion president Efrosinia Greţu (PLDM), since 2011
Area
 • Total 775 km2 (299 sq mi)
 • Water 16.0 km2 (6.2 sq mi)  2.06%
Population (2012)
 • Total 53,600
 • Density 69.2/km2 (179/sq mi)
Time zone EET (UTC+2)
 • Summer (DST) EEST (UTC+3)
Postal Code 263
Area code(s) +373 63
Car plates LV
Website www.leova.md

Leova is a district (Moldovan: raion) in the central part of Moldova, bordering Romania, with the administrative center at Leova. The other major city is Leova. As of 1 January 2011, its population was 53,800.

History

Localities with the oldest documentary attestation of the district are: Tigheci, Tochile Raducani, Leova, they are first attested in the years 1436-1489 period. In the 16th and 17th centuries, most of all to develop trade, agriculture and there is a significant population increase. During this period the Tirgul Sarata (Leova today), is developing intensively. In 1812, after the Russo-Turkish War (1806-1812), is the occupation of Basarabia, Russian Empire during this period (1812–1917), there is an intense russification of the native population. In 1918 after the collapse of the Russian Empire, Bessarabia united with Romania in this period (1918–1940, 1941–1944), the district is part of the Lapusna County. In 1940 after Molotov-Ribbentrop Treaty, Basarabia is occupied by the USSR. In 1991 as a result of the proclamation of Independence of Moldova, part and residence of the Lapusna County (1991–2003), and in 2003 became administrative unit of Moldova.

Geography

Leova district is located in the southwest part of the Republic of Moldova. Neighborhood has the following districts: District Hincesti in north, east Gagauzia and Cimislia District, Cantemir District in southern and border state with Romania in west, on the river Prut. The relief is generally plain, but with altitudes above 250 m in the northern part of district (the southern extremity of Central Moldavian Plateau) in south elevations of 150–200 m (extreme north of Plateau Tigheci), and 20–100 m. the plains of Prut. Erosion processes with a medium intensity.

Climate

Temperate continental climate with an annual average district temperature +10+10.5 c. July average temperature +22 C, of January -4 C. Annual precipitation 450–550 mm. Average wind speed 3–6 m \ s.

Fauna

Typical European fauna, with the presence of such mammals such as foxes, hedgehogs, deer, wild boar, polecat, wild cat, ermine and others. Of birds: partridges, crows, eagles, starling, swallow and more.

Flora

Forests occupy 13.0% of the district are complemented by tree species such as oak, ash, hornbeam, linden, maple, walnut and others. From plants: wormwood, knotweed, fescue, nettle and many others.

Rivers

The main river is the Prut River, which crosses the western district in favor of Romania. Its main tributary of the Sarata River that crosses the district is. Most lakes are artificial origin.

Administrative subdivisions

  • Localities: 39

Demographics

1 January 2012 the district population was 53,600 of which 29.1% urban and 70.9% rural population

  • Births (2010): 672 (12.5 per 1000)
  • Deaths (2010): 667 (12.4 per 1000)
  • Growth rate (2010): 5 (0.1 per 1000)

Ethnic groups

Ethnic group Population % of total*
Moldovans (Romanians) 44,144 86.46%
Bulgarians 3,803 7.45%
Ukrainians 1,245 2.44%
Russians 1,170 2.29%
Gagauzians 430 0.84%
Gypsies 105 0.21%
Others 159 0.32%

Religion

Economy

In the district are 11,859 total registered businesses. The share of agricultural land is 57,071 ha (73.6%) of total land area. The arable land occupies 37 925 ha (48.9%) of the total agricultural land, of which 1229 ha plantation of orchards (1.6%), vines 4718 ha (6.1%), pasture 11,617 ha (15.0%), some 1582 ha (2.0%).

Education

In Leova district working 34 educational institutions, including: Total number of students, including 7833 children in schools, in preschool institutions in 2009 children, 280 polyvalent vocational schools students.

Politics

Voters traditional in the district Leova, said mainly center-right parties, particularly the AEI. PCRM the last three elections is in a continuous fall.

During the last three elections AEI had an increase of 57.2%

Parliament elections results
Year AEI PCRM
2010 53.23% 12,151 35.79% 8,171
July 2009 53.42% 11,814 41.23% 9,120
April 2009 34.90% 7,715 48.20% 10,654

Elections

  Summary of 28 November 2010 Parliament of Moldova election results in Leova District
Parties and coalitions Votes % +/−
Party of Communists of the Republic of Moldova 8,171 35.79 −5.44
Liberal Democratic Party of Moldova 6,561 28.74 +13.43
Democratic Party of Moldova 4,290 18,79 +4.54
European Action Movement 1,364 5.97 +5.97
Liberal Party 1,182 5.18 −5.81
Other Party 1,271 5.53 -12.69
Total (turnout 53.96%) 22,999 100.00


Culture

In district works: two museums, artistic works 55, 14 bands, holding the title of the band - model, public libraries - 37.

Health

In district works: a hospital, the general fund of 190 beds, 1 center of family doctor's in the composition of which are 16 family physician offices, 7 health center's, 11 health points.

Tourism

Trajan's Wall (Graphic reconstruction)

The council of the Romanian Vaslui County, the county councils of the Moldovan Leova and Hînceşti districts, and the European Union (through the Phare program), have set up a program which seeks to promote tourism in these regions.[1] The main tourist attractions of the Vaslui-Hînceşti-Leova touristic program are, among others, the medieval and early modern churches and monasteries, the Manuc Bei Hunting Palace and the Manuc - Mirzaian Manor Palace (similar to Manuc's Inn in Bucharest) in Hînceşti, as well as the region's natural riches.

  • Trajan's Wall, who had started the course in the village of Filipeni, through Troita and follows the road to Cimislia. This monument dates back to the Trajan's Dacian Wars.
  • The wooden church from Covurlui. This church is built of wood, was built in 1805, closed in 1959 and reopened in 1989.
  • Monument of nature - tree secular. Oaks located in the city Leova, Street Gorghi 8, Hall Leova land owner. The tree is 214 years old.
  • Church dedicated St. Voievozi, s. Michael and Gabriel in Borogani. The old church was built in 1811 of wood.

External links

  • Vaslui-Turism.ro - Official tourism website from the Vaslui County Council

References

  1. ^ Itinerarii cultural religioase
  • Descrierea generală a raionului Leova
  • District population per year
  • Discuție:Raionul Leova
  • Rezultatele alegerilor din 28 noiembrie 2010 în raionul Leova

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.