World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lins, São Paulo

Article Id: WHEBN0001050737
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lins, São Paulo  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lins, Thiago Humberto, Guaimbê, List of municipalities in São Paulo, Nelson Prudêncio
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lins, São Paulo

Lins is a municipality in the western part of the state of São Paulo in Brazil. The population in 2006 is 69,721 and the area is 527.98 km². The elevation is 437 m. Distance is 455 km from the capital, São Paulo.

History

In the beginning of the 20th century, a town with the name of San Antonio do Campestre began appeared in the neighborhoods of Indians and became connected with railway, the Ferro Noroeste do Brasil (The Northwest railroad of Brazil (NOB, pro. ehn-oh-beh)), near a stream diminating Campestre (before, it was known as Brumadinho or Douradinho).

On February 16, 1908, the President of Brazil Afonso Augusto Moreira Pena inaugurated with adding four stations of NOB. Amongst these stations, he entered Estação Campestre Campestre at the 152nd km, next to the stream. This station was named Albuquerque Lins, in memory to the São Paulo politician Manoel Joaquim de Albuquerque Lins, which became the president of the province of São Paulo from 1908 to 1912.

In 1913, the town of Saint Antonio do Campestre was elevated to the category of the Distrto de Paz of the city of Bauru. On April 21, 1920, the political emancipation occurred.

Today, the old district of Albuquerque Lins is now known as the city of Lins.

Demography

2000 census

total population: 65.952

  • urban: 64.218
  • Rural: 1.734
  • men: 31.990
  • women: 33.962
  • population density (hab./km²): 115,42
  • child mortality (per thousands): 11,79
  • life expectance (years): 73,56
  • birth rate (per woman): 1,97
  • literacy rate: 92,48%

human development index (HDI-M): 0,724

  • HDI-M Renda: 0,782
  • HDI-M Longevidade: 0,809
  • HDI-M Education: 0,791

(source: IPEADATA)

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.