World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0018689096
Reproduction Date:

Title: Linzgau  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Sigmaringen (district), Überlingen, Gau (country subdivision), Lentienses, Welf I, Elder House of Welf, Pfullendorf, Duchy of Swabia, Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Freiburg, Vaz/Obervaz
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia


Linzgau is a region in southern Germany in the state of Baden-Württemberg north of Lake Constance and south of the Danube valley. It is bounded by Lake Constance on the south, the Hegau on the west, the Danube valley on the north, and the Schussen River on the east.

It reaches west as far as Überlingen and north as far as Pfullendorf.


The name derives from a Celtic name Lentia for what is now known as the Linzer Aach river.

Prehistoric times

The best-known remains of prehistoric human habitation in the region are the neolithic and bronze age pile dwellings on the shores of Lake Constance, of which some examples are reconstructed at Unteruhldingen. Similar neolithic structures have also been found in a peat bog near Ruhestetten in the municipality of Wald.

From the late Hallstatt culture on, the population can be regarded as Celts. Burial mounds have been discovered at Hödingen, Salem, and Stetten.

Roman times

From the first century BC to the third century AD, the area was part of the Roman Empire. Roman settlements existed at Bambergen, Meersburg, and Mettenbuch in the municipality of Ostrach.

After the Roman withdrawal beyond the Rhine, Germanic tribes settled in the area. The original Celtic name of the stream gave its name to an Alamannic tribe, the Lentienses mentioned in the fourth century AD by the Roman historian Ammianus Marcellinus.

Middle Ages

As part of Alemannia, Linzgau was acquired by the Frankish Empire in the 6th century, becoming part of the Duchy of Swabia in the 10th. In 1135, the counts of Heiligenberg received the county of Linzgau. From them, it passed to the Count of Werdenberg in 1277, and later to the Count of Fürstenberg in 1535. The area was then mostly called the County of Heiligenberg.

Modern times

In the eary 19th century, under the rule of Napoleon, the Linzgau was assigned to the Grand Duchy of Baden, so the name became synonymous with the district of Überlingen. Today, the area encompasses the districts of Bodensee and Sigmaringen.

Linzgau today

Today, the only official use for the term Linzgau is the Catholic deanery. However, it is regaining popularity, as shown by the naming of the new shopping center in Pfullendorf the Linzgau-Center or the slogan of Markdorf: Heart of the Linzgau.

The regional tourist association also calls itself Bodensee-Linzgau Tourismus e.V.


The southern part of the Linzgau lies on the banks of Lake Constance and has a milder climate, which lends itself to fruit orchards and vineyards. The landscape is rolling, but fairly flat, with occasional drumlins caused by deposits from the retreating Rhine Glacier in the last ice age.

The northern part (or upper Linzgau) has a more rugged climate and rises to as high as 833 m. It is characterized by glacial moraines, with occasional swamps and small lakes, especially in the northeast. Agriculture is largely dedicated to grain.

Most of the Linzgau is still rural, with the most heavily populated areas along the shores of Lake Constance. The largest cities are Überlingen, Pfullendorf, and Markdorf.


The national highways 31 and 33, which run from east to west along Lake Constance are the only major highways through the region.

A car ferry runs from Meersburg across the arm of Lake Constance called the Überlinger See to connect with Constance.


Based on the article in the German World Heritage Encyclopedia.

External links

  • Web site of Bodensee-Linzgau Tourismus e.V. (English)
  • Der Linzgau (German)

Coordinates: 47°48′N 09°10′E / 47.800°N 9.167°E / 47.800; 9.167

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.