World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Majestic Theatre (Columbus Circle)

Article Id: WHEBN0026654715
Reproduction Date:

Title: Majestic Theatre (Columbus Circle)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Majestic, Olympia Theatre (New York City), Academy Awards, New 42nd Street, Gaiety Theatre (New York City)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Majestic Theatre (Columbus Circle)

The Majestic Theatre was a theatre located at 5 Columbus Circle, the present site of the Time Warner Center. Designed in 1903 by John H. Duncan, the architect of Grant's Tomb, it was built at a time that Columbus Circle was expected to become a theatre district. Initially, the theatre, which seated about 1355, hosted original musicals and operettas, including The Wizard of Oz and Babes in Toyland, and some plays. It was renamed Park Theatre in 1911, opening with The Quaker Girl, and it again presented plays, musicals and operettas. The Shuberts, Florenz Ziegfeld and Billy Minsky, in succession, owned the house but did not find success there. In 1925, it was purchased by William Randolph Hearst, renamed Cosmopolitan Theatre, and played movies as well as live theatre. Its last name as a playhouse was International Theatre.[1]

In 1949, NBC leased the theatre and made it into a television studio as the NBC International Theatre, with The Admiral Broadway Revue being one of the first TV shows aired from that location. In 1953, the venue hosted a portion of the 25th Academy Awards, which was the first Academy Awards to be televised, and the first to be aired from both New York City and Los Angeles.

The theater was demolished in 1954 to allow for wider sidewalks in front of the New York Coliseum,[1] which in turn was torn down to make way for the Time Warner Center in 2000.

References

  1. ^ a b "International Theatre", Internet Broadway Database, accessed June 8, 2013

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.