World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Maréchal de camp

Article Id: WHEBN0006400452
Reproduction Date:

Title: Maréchal de camp  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Paul François de Quelen de la Vauguyon, Karl Josef von Bachmann, Philibert François Rouxel de Blanchelande, Henrietta Stanley, Baroness Stanley of Alderley, Giuseppe Rosaroll
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Maréchal de camp

Maréchal de camp (sometimes incorrectly translated as field marshal) was a general officer rank used by the French Army until 1848.[1]

The rank originated from the older rank of sergeant major general (French: sergent-major général). Sergeant major general was third in command in an army, after the general and the lieutenant general. One of his tasks was to dispose the troops on the battlefield. It was also known in the French army as the "battle sergeant" (fr: sergent de bataille). In English-speaking countries, the rank of sergeant major general became known as simply major general.

Background and history

The maréchal de camp rank was the junior of the two officer general ranks of the French Army, the senior being lieutenant general. The rank of brigadier was intermediate between those of colonel and maréchal de camp, but was not considered a general officer rank. Nevertheless, when rank insignia were introduced in the 1770s, the brigadier insignia was one star, that of the maréchal de camp two stars (as its foreign equivalent the rank of major general). When the rank of brigadier was abolished in 1788, maréchals de camp assumed command of brigades in the French army, but kept their two-star insignia. In 1793, during the French Revolution, the rank was renamed brigade general (général de brigade), as the brigade was its normal command. In 1815, the rank of brigade general became once again maréchal de camp, but was changed back again to brigade general in 1848.

See also

References

  1. ^
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.