World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Marburg University

Article Id: WHEBN0001842761
Reproduction Date:

Title: Marburg University  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Boris Pasternak, Charlemagne, Frederick I, Holy Roman Emperor, Regensburg, Henry the Lion, Richard, 1st Earl of Cornwall, Friedrich Paulus, Diplomatics, Thomas Beccon, Julius Ebbinghaus
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Marburg University

University of Marburg
Philipps-Universität Marburg
Latin: SCHOLA MARPVRGENSIS
Established July 1, 1527
Type Public university
President Prof. Dr. Katharina Krause
Admin. staff ca. 7,500 (incl. hospital staff - 2005)
Students ca. 21,000
Location Marburg, Germany
Website http://www.uni-marburg.de
Data as of 2010





The Lahnberge Campus is dedicated to the natural sciences. The image shows the Multiple Purpose Building, home of the Departments of Mathematics and Computer Science, as well as laboratories for research into material sciences and physical chemistry.
The building of the nearby Biology Department is of the same architectural style.
The University Hospital along with the Department for Medical Studies is also located at the Lahnberge Campus.

The Philipp University of Marburg (German: Philipps-Universität Marburg), was founded in 1527 by Landgrave Philip I of Hesse (usually called the Magnanimous, although the updated meaning 'haughty' is sometimes given) as one of Germany's oldest universities, dating back to a Protestant foundation. As a modern state university it has no religious affiliation anymore.

It was the main university of the principality of Hesse and remains a public university of that German state. It now has about 23,000 students and 7,500 employees, making Marburg, a town of 83,000 inhabitants, the proverbial "university town" (Universitätsstadt). Though most subjects are grouped, the University of Marburg is not a campus university in the broader sense.

Marburg is home to one of Germany's most traditional medical faculties. The German physicians' union is called "Marburger Bund".

The department of psychology enjoys an outstanding reputation and reached Excellence Group status in the Europe-wide CHE Excellence Ranking 2009.

History

In 1609, the University of Marburg established the world's first professorship in chemistry. In 2012 it opened the first German chemistry participation museum, called "Chemicum". Its experimental courses program is aimed at encouraging young people to pursue careers in science.[1]

Nazi period

20 professors were expelled in 1933, among them Wilhelm Röpke who emigrated and Hermann Jacobsohn who committed suicide.

Famous alumni and professors

Famous natural scientists who studied or taught at the University of Marburg:

Marburg was always known as a humanities university. It retained that strength, especially in Philosophy and Theology for a long time after World War II. Famous theologians include:

Famous philosophers include:

Other famous students:

List of subjects

The University of Marburg offers a broad spectrum of subjects with research highlights in nano sciences, material sciences, near eastern studies, and medicine.

Collections of the University

  • Alter Botanischer Garten Marburg, the university's old botanical garden
  • Botanischer Garten Marburg, the university's current botanical garden
  • Forschungsinstitut Lichtbildarchiv älterer Orginalurkunden bis 1250 (Collection of photographies taken from medieval charters)
  • Bildarchiv Foto Marburg (German national picture archive of arts)
  • Religionskundliche Sammlung (Collection of religious objects)
  • Deutscher Sprachatlas (Linguistic Atlas of Germany)
  • Mineralogisches Museum (Museum of Mineralogy)
  • Museum für Kunst und Kulturgeschichte (Museum of Arts)

Notes and references

See also

External links

  • Philipps-Universität Marburg
  • T. S. Eliot
  • Wilhelm Viëtor
  • Historical detention room (Karzer)

Coordinates: 50°48′39″N 8°46′25″E / 50.81083°N 8.77361°E / 50.81083; 8.77361

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.