World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Marquess Camden

Article Id: WHEBN0000437353
Reproduction Date:

Title: Marquess Camden  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of earldoms, Camden (surname), Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden, David Kennedy, 9th Marquess of Ailsa, Marquess of Sligo
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Marquess Camden

Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden,
by Nathaniel Dance-Holland

Marquess Camden is a title in the Peerage of the United Kingdom. It was created in 1812 for the politician John Pratt, 2nd Earl Camden. The Pratt family descends from Sir John Pratt, Lord Chief Justice from 1718 to 1725. His third son from his second marriage, Sir Charles Pratt, was also a prominent lawyer and politician and served as Lord Chancellor between 1766 to 1770. In 1765 he was raised to the Peerage of Great Britain as Baron Camden, of Camden Place in the County of Kent, and in 1786 he was further honoured when he was created Viscount Bayham, of Bayham Abbey in the County of Kent, and Earl Camden. These titles are also in the Peerage of Great Britain. Lord Camden was married to Elizabeth, daughter of Nicholas Jeffreys, of The Priory, Brecknockshire.

Their son, the second Earl, was a politician and notably served as Lord Lieutenant of Ireland and as Lord President of the Council. In 1812 he was created Earl of the County of Brecknock (usually shortened to Earl of Brecknock) and Marquess Camden. His son, the second Marquess, represented Ludgershall, Bath and Dunwich in the House of Commons and also served as Lord Lieutenant of Brecknockshire. In 1835 Lord Camden was called to the House of Lords through a writ of acceleration in his father's junior title of Baron Camden. His son, the third Marquess, briefly sat as a Member of Parliament for Brecon in 1866, before he succeeded his father and took his seat in the House of Lords. On his early death the titles passed to his three-month-old son, the fourth Marquess. He was notably Lord Lieutenant of Kent from 1905 to 1943. As of 2013 the peerages are held by his grandson, the sixth Marquess, who succeeded his father in 1983.

Lord Michael Pratt was a younger son of the fifth Marquess.

The family lives at Wherwell House near Andover in Hampshire. Until the early 1980s the family also owned the Bayham Abbey Estate, near Lamberhurst, in Kent.

Camden Town in London is named for Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden, and the elephant from the arms of Marquess Camden is therefore present in the crest in the coat of arms of the London Borough of Camden.


  • Earls Camden (1786) 1
  • Marquesses Camden (1812) 2
  • Ancestry 3
  • Arms 4
  • Notes 5
  • References 6
  • External Links 7

Earls Camden (1786)

Marquesses Camden (1812)

The heir apparent is the present holder's son James William John Pratt, Earl of Brecknock (b. 1965)



Arms of Marquess Camden
Coronet of a Marquess
Dexter: An Elephant’s Head erased Argent (Pratt); Sinister: a Dragon’s Head erased Vert, holding in the mouth a Sinister Hand couped at the wrist Gules, and about the neck a Chain and pendant therefrom a Portcullis Or (Jeffreys).
Quarterly 1st & 4th, Sable, on a Fess Argent, between three Elephant’s Heads erased Argent, three Mullets Sable (Pratt); 2nd, Sable, a Chevron between three Spear Heads Argent, the points embrued (Jeffreys), 3rd, Gules, an Inescutcheon Vair, between eight Cross-Crosslets Or (Molesworth).
Dexter: a Griffin Sable, beaked and clawed Gules, gorged with a Collar Argent, charged with three Mullets Sable; Sinister: a Lion Or, armed and langued Gules, gorged with a Collar Argent, charged with three Mullets Sable.
JUDICIUM PARIUM AUT LEX TERRÆ (The judgement of my peers, or the law of the land)



  • Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990,
  • Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages
  • , 13 May 1786The London Gazette
  • , 15 August, 1812The London Gazette

External Links

  • David Pratt, 6th Marquess Camden
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.