World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

McCulloch Park (Muncie, Indiana)

Article Id: WHEBN0034568601
Reproduction Date:

Title: McCulloch Park (Muncie, Indiana)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pittsburgh Pirates, The Winning Season (2004 film), Jaycee Park, Dominican Summer League Pirates, Bob Gessner
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

McCulloch Park (Muncie, Indiana)

McCulloch Park
Location Corner of North Broadway & East Centennial Avenue
Muncie, IN 47303
 United States
Owner Muncie
Operator City of Muncie
Capacity 4,100
Surface Grass
Opened 1892 (Park)
1931 (Grandstand)
Demolished 1952 (Grandstand only, fire)
MLB Spring Training
Pittsburgh Pirates (NL) (1943-1945)
Minor League Baseball
Muncie Packers/Reds (OSL/OIL) (1947-1950)
Muncie Fruit Jars (IA) (1906, 1908)

McCulloch Park is the largest community Muncie Fruit Jars and the Muncie Reds. The park also served as the spring training home of the Pittsburgh Pirates from 1943-1945.


In 1906, Muncie fielded its first professional baseball team, the Muncie Fruit Jars, who played in the Interstate Association. The team played again in 1908 season in the Ohio-Indiana League which folded that season, on June 8, with the team in last place. Over the next two decades, McCulloch Park was home to several local semi-pro clubs. In 1931 a permanent wooden grandstand was built by the city. During the 1930s, several major league teams visited the ballpark. On one notable occasion, the St. Louis Browns lost a game to one of Muncie's local teams.

In 1943, the Pittsburgh Pirates traveled to Muncie for the club's spring training session. During this time, the United States was fighting in World War II. The Pirates' selection of Muncie was part of an effort by Major League Baseball to reduce team travel expenses, due to the lower revenues brought about by the war. The 1943 Pirates were managed Frank Frisch and Honus Wagner, both men were Hall of Famers. Their presence helped the team establish a fanbase in Muncie. During the Pirates' stay, other major league teams traveled to McCulloch Park to play them. Rudy York, of the Detroit Tigers, is credited for hitting the longest home run out of the Park.

Once the war ended, the Pirates ended their spring training relationship with Muncie. However, the Cincinnati Reds established a minor league affiliate in the city, called the Muncie Reds. The Reds played at McCulloch Park from 1947 to 1950. Future Cincinnati Reds standouts, Joe Nuxhall and Wally Post, played for Muncie in 1947 and they were among six Muncie Reds players who would later play in the majors.

The Reds disbanded in 1950 and the field was once again used only by amateur and semi-pro clubs.


On Friday, June 13, 1952, a fire completely destroyed the Park's grandstand. The grandstand was never replaced, however the field was refurbished and has been maintained since. The park is still in operation today. It is accessible to the community and includes playgrounds, a soap box derby track, basketball courts, baseball fields, picnic areas, a park lodge rental facility, restrooms, and fishing/boating areas.

See also

External links

  • Baseball Reference: McCulloch Park
  • City of Muncie: McCulloch Park
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.