World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Medical Missionary Society of China

The Medical Missionary Society in China was a Protestant medical missionary society established in Canton, China, in 1838. The first work of the society was to support the ophthalmic hospital in Canton run by Dr. Peter Parker, a medical missionary of the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. The founder and first president was Dr. Thomas Richardson Colledge. The society split in 1845 when some of the members moved to Hong Kong. Only the Canton society continued into the twentieth century. In its heyday the society supported mission hospitals staffed by British and American doctors at Canton, Hong Kong, Macao, Amoy, Ningpo and Shanghai. A number of young Chinese men were trained in Western medicine in the society's hospitals in the early days.

References

  • Wong, K. Chimin and Lien-Teh, Wu (1936), 'History of Chinese Medicine', 2nd edition, Shanghai: National Quarantine Service
  • Couling, Samuel (1917), 'Encyclopaedia Sinica', London: Oxford University Press
  • Lockhart, William (1861). 'A Medical Missionary in China', London: Hurst and Blackett
  • Parker, Peter (1843), 'Report of the Medical Missionary Society 1841-1842', Macao
  • Colledge, Thomas Richardson and Parker, Peter (1838), 'Address and Minutes of Proceedings of the Medical Missionary Society Canton, China 1838', Canton: Office of the Chinese Repository
  • Choa, H. K. (1990), 'Heal the sick was their motto : the Protestant medical missionaries in China', Hong Kong : Chinese University Press
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.