Mers-el-kebir

Mers El Kébir
بلدية المرسى الكبير
Municipality
Commune of Mers El Kébir

Location of Mers El Kébir within Oran Province
Mers El Kébir
Mers El Kébir
Location of Mers El Kébir within Algeria

Coordinates: 35°44′N 0°43′W / 35.733°N 0.717°W / 35.733; -0.717Coordinates: 35°44′N 0°43′W / 35.733°N 0.717°W / 35.733; -0.717

Country  Algeria
Province Oran
District Aïn El Turk
Government
 • PMA Seats 9
Area
 • Total 10.98 km2 (4.24 sq mi)
Elevation 0 m (0 ft)
Population (2006)
 • Total 16,950
 • Density 1,500/km2 (4,000/sq mi)
Time zone CET (UTC+01)
Postal code 31310
ONS code 3115

Mers-el-Kébir (Arabic: المرسى الكبير‎, “the Great Harbour”) is a port town in northwestern Algeria, located by the Mediterranean Sea near Oran, in the Oran Province.

History

Originally a Roman port, Mers-el-Kébir became an Almohad naval arsenal in the 12th century, fell under the rulers of the Kingdom of Tlemcen in the 15th century, and eventually became a center of pirate activity around 1492. It was occupied variously by the Ottoman Turks, Portuguese and Spanish, with the Spanish (which named it Mazalquivir) capturing it in 1505 under Cardinal Cisneros. Mazalquivir was the base used to capture neighbouring Oran in 1509. The Spanish held both cities until 1708, when they were driven out by Turkish Bey Mustapha Ben Youssef (also known as Bouchelaghem). The Spanish returned in 1732 when the armada of the Duke of Montemar was victorious in the Battle of Aïn-el-Turk and again took Oran and Mazalquivir. Both cities were held until 1792, when they were sold by King Carlos IV to the Bey of Algiers.

The French occupied it in 1830, and renamed it Saint André de Mers-el-Kébir, enhancing the port in 1868 with an eponymous lighthouse,[1] the latter was destroyed during World War II.

World War II

Following the German defeat of France in 1940, part of the French fleet holed up in the port. On 3 July 1940, Force H of the British Royal Navy, led by Vice Admiral Sir James Somerville, attacked the French Navy's fleet at Mers-el-Kébir (killing more than 1,200 men) to prevent it from falling into German hands.

Post World War II

After World War II, France used its naval base at Mers-el-Kébir to assist in atomic tests. The Évian Accords of 18 March 1962, which recognized Algerian independence, allowed France to maintain its base for 15 years; however, France withdrew five years later in 1967.

See also

References

External links

  • A plan of the Mers-el-Kébir anchorage is available at http://www.hmshood.org.uk/reference/official/adm234/adm234-317.html
  • (French) Accueil Kébir
  • (French) MERS EL KEBIR 1940
  • Mers-el-Kebir – A Battle Between Friends by Irwin J. Kappes
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.