World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Monks Investment Trust

Article Id: WHEBN0018077946
Reproduction Date:

Title: Monks Investment Trust  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: BH Macro, Aberforth Smaller Companies Trust, Bluecrest Allblue Fund, British Empire Securities and General Trust, HICL Infrastructure Company
Collection: Investment Trusts of the United Kingdom
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Monks Investment Trust

Monks Investment Trust
Public
Industry Investment management
Founded 1929
Headquarters Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Key people

Charles Plowden, Trust Manager

Spencer Adair, Malcolm MacColl, Deputy Managers
Parent Baillie Gifford & Co Limited
Website www.monksinvestmenttrust.co.uk

Monks Investment Trust (LSE: MNKS) was incorporated in 1929 and was one of three trusts founded in the late 1920s by a group of investors headed by Sir Auckland (later Lord) Geddes. The other two trusts were The Friars Investment Trust and The Abbots Investment Trust. The company secretary's office was at 13/14 Austin Friars in the City of London hence the names. Sir Auckland Geddes was a former professor of anatomy who, during the First World War, had become Director of Recruiting at the War Office. He then went on to become a Unionist MP and a Cabinet Minister as President of the Board of Trade.

Monks' first investments included large holdings of railway and energy companies in the UK, USA, Germany, Australia and South America, and also investments in Chinese Government bonds and Hungarian bonds. The geographic split in the first year was 29% UK, 18% Europe, 13% The Commonwealth, 10% USA, 12% Latin America, 6% Asia, 2% Africa and the remainder in other international markets. Half was invested in ordinary shares and half in fixed interest stocks and preference shares.

In 1931, Baillie Gifford & Co took over the management of all three companies and Monks became a founder member of the Association of Investment Trusts in 1932, of which Carlyle Gifford, the co-founder of Baillie Gifford & Co, was Deputy Chairman. Before the Second World War there were two issues of debenture stocks in 1933 and 1935. By 1935 the UK portion had risen to 46% and investments in ordinary shares accounted for 59%. There were restrictions on foreign holdings during the Second World War, and by 1957 investment in the USA had increased to 31%.

In 1968, under a Scheme of Arrangement, the three trusts were merged with Monks acquiring the ordinary share capital of Friars and Abbots. Monks continues to invest on an international basis with a view to achieving capital growth.

External links

  • Monks Investment Trust Website
  • Baillie Gifford & Co Website
  • Trust Online - Investment trust news, expert analysis, videos, competitions, and more from Baillie Gifford
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.